Why become a member? ×

I'm in love with short scale!!

thebeat

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='238220' date='Jul 12 2008, 09:54 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60s-70s-teisco-satellite-short-scale-bass-guitar-GC_W0QQitemZ130237254028QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130237254028&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]I really like the look of this[/url]

If I had the cash :)[/quote]

That's exactly the same as my first ever bass!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='239584' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:20 PM']I really like playing my Dearmond Starfire with Dark Star pickups - 30.5" scale and a very dark but musical sound.

But I most like a Fender P bass thump and I don't feel that's really available on the short scale.[/quote]

I bet you do, i really really would like a DS starfire

[quote name='99ster' post='239861' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:32 AM']I got a sweet 1966 Mustang a few months ago - really just to add to the collection (& I got it for a bargain price)... And wasn't really expecting to use it much at all - but I have to say that the 'vintage' tone you can get from these is absolutely fantastic. Wind it up through an old valve amp & it will bring tears to your eyes. Not like an old Precision or a Jazz - it's own sound & very sweet. I'm definitely a short scale fan now...
Check out 'Indian Rope Man' by Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger for a fabulous 60's Mustang bass sound...
And of course 'All Along The Watchtower' - with Jimi Hendrix playing a Mustang bass - one of the greatest ever bass lines & tone...

Here's my 1966 (with very rare original case):
[attachment=10851:66_mustang_cased.jpg][/quote]

I would very much like one of those. Anyone know how the modern Japanese version shapes up?

You made me listen to 'All Along the Watchtower' Again; I never realised it was a Mustang, I thought it was just what happened when Jimi played bass!

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='240099' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:56 PM']I would very much like one of those. Anyone know how the modern Japanese version shapes up?

You made me listen to 'All Along the Watchtower' Again; I never realised it was a Mustang, I thought it was just what happened when Jimi played bass![/quote]

No guarantee that will make you sounds as good as Jimi! Doesn't help me!
:)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='240099' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:56 PM']Anyone know how the modern Japanese version shapes up?[/quote]
Yep - i have one and it has become my favourite gigging bass. Thomastik JF324 flats fit perfectly & It practically plays itself. I originally wanted a "vintage" one & tried a few, but much preferred the neck on the the CIJ, especially as it was a fraction of the price.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='240529' date='Jul 16 2008, 12:31 AM']Yep - i have one and it has become my favourite gigging bass. Thomastik JF324 flats fit perfectly & It practically plays itself. I originally wanted a "vintage" one & tried a few, but much preferred the neck on the the CIJ, especially as it was a fraction of the price.[/quote]

Oh dear, that's another 400 quid I need to spend. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='240493' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:41 PM']I quite liked my Hofner violin bass but it was hard work live. Does my 32" with bendwell KingBass count as "short"?[/quote]

IMO shorts scale is UNDER 31" scale so no... (Generally 32" is considered to be medium scale)

I've found that the biggest problem with short scales is finding a set of strings the produced decent notes below open A. My first bass a much modified Burns artist has a 29.5 scale length, and it wasn't until I got some specially made Newtone strings for it that I could confidently play note on the E string without it turning into a muddy thump.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='241381' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:30 PM']IMO shorts scale is UNDER 31" scale so no... (Generally 32" is considered to be medium scale)

I've found that the biggest problem with short scales is finding a set of strings the produced decent notes below open A. My first bass a much modified Burns artist has a 29.5 scale length, and it wasn't until I got some specially made Newtone strings for it that I could confidently play note on the E string without it turning into a muddy thump.[/quote]

My Thunder Jet has loads of well defined bottom end and a nice growl when the treble Pup is dialed in just so. I love this bass. Nice and compact, very light and beautifully finished...got a good price on it from Promenade Music too. Find it a shame that this bass isn't bettter known, definitely one of my better blind buys and one i mean to hold on to.