Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVP-Pro replacement valves?

Ramsay777

Hi folks, I ain't too familiar with valve equipment and I'm wondering if anyone can share their experiences with this preamp :)

I bought it used a couple of years ago and haven't really had it as part of my rig, plugged it in for a test run as I was planning gonna sell it, and it's a bit "hissy" - Which I've read can be a sign of the valves needing repaced. It still sounds pretty damn good though!

Currently it has;

(1 being far left, 5 being far right when looking at the front face.)

1 - Groove Tubes 12AX7C
2 - Ruby 12AX7A
3 - Ruby 12AX7A
4 - Electro Harmonix ECC82
5 - Ruby 12AX7A

Does this look right? I would have thought they would all need to be the same type, no?

Thanks

No, they're not all the same as you will see.
I replaced the valves in one of these a while back on the recommendation of Derek Rocco of Watford Valves, thus:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Four Harma 7025-DR250 [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]valves[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] and one Philips Jan 6189W valve.[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/"][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://www.watfordvalves.com/[/font][/color][/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Sounded really fantastic and a huge difference over the previous valves. Hope this helps.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by discreet

Definitely upgrade the valves :) the ElectroHarmonix and Groove Tubes are just Sovteks rebadged and the Rubys aren't bad, but some quality drive and noise tested valves will get you much better results as well as noise rejection, be it hiss or mains hum.

A +1 for Derek at Watford Valves. I use the Harma Valves and the premium JJ for the 12AX7 and definitely Phillips Jan for the other position as in the above post.

Gt12ax7c iż a chinese shuguang and it is the fattest, fullest and best sounding 12ax7 tube I have heard so far. Gt12ax7r iż a sovtek 12ax7wa tube, the worst sounding tube I have heard so far. I really like ehx tubes in ampeg amps, I am not so much fond of JJ - too dry and sterile or Tung-sol reissue tubes - poor quality.

Edited by mazdah