Why become a member? ×

Oldschool Trace Elliott 15" combo
£250

2wheeler

Oldschool Trace Elliott 15" combo, no tweeter. I don't know that much about the origins. It is a GP11 put together with a very good driver.

It's not as loud or as portable as modern kit but the tone is amazing and the 11 band EQ is famous already, I don't need to say anything about it. Oh go on then :) just about every setting sounds good but you still have great control to shape the sound.

Would be perfect for a studio or a recording player, or gigs where phat tones are more important than anything else.

Sound samples to follow.

[Edited to remove references to valves after it was pointed out that it doesn't have any! ]

Edited by 2wheeler

Yes.

When I went to make the recording, I discovered that there is a fault. Low E to D make a woolly, farty sound. I will let this fall down the llistings and either bump it when fixed or relist, unfixed, with a completely honest description of the problem.

I had the same combo and I still have the amp - I took it out and made a case for it.
It's a great amp and the speaker was a Fane, which gave a huge deep tone.

Mine developed a similar fault that you describe and the solution was very simple.
The fuse on the back is secured by a screw fitting next to the power input socket - this screw had worked slightly loose and just needed tightening to solve the problem.

• 4 months later...

Thanks redstriper, there is, indeed, absolutely nothing wrong with this after all. In fact, it is so good I just kept it for another good few months. However, I am now definitely upgrading and a Barefaced Big Baby 2 is on its way. My wife is now desperate to see the back of this sizeable combo.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-merriam/sets/trace-elliot-15-combo-sound"]Here are a couple of sound clips[/url]. The upright is a Golden Strad with very new Obligatos using a Fishman Full Circle pickup into a Fishman B2 preamp. The electric is a StingRay with d'Addario flatwounds. All settings everywhere completely flat. There is substantial background noise because[list=1]
[*]the amp is [i]not[/i] super-silent and I had to do the recording at very low volume, so that the noise is more apparent
[*]I used my phone for the recording
[/list]

I'll take offers. I got the amp when I had a budget of £300 for a combo and couldn't accept the tone quality of anything I could get new for that price. I was very happy indeed with what I got and I very much hope that the next owner will have a similar experience.

• 1 month later...