Why become a member? ×

Is it just me who digs Hip Hop.?

bubinga5

Digital Underground you say Ro Ri. great stuff bro. they were an amazing hip hop act. now were talking. if you wanna go old school lets go X Clan. Sampled from Roy Ayers's track Red Black and Green. 'Raise the Flag' from the X Clan. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqm3dywX2bA[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1396080905' post='2409671']
I like some of it but get a bit confused as to where the boundaries are between hip hop and rap etc, but I suppose if you like something, then its good, right?
[/quote]
[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1396084792' post='2409718']
i don't think there are any boundaries. in my experience Rap is Hip Hiop, just a different word for the same genre.
[/quote]

Rap is just a vocal style. Hip Hop is a genre of music in which rap is commonly featured. You can have rap without the song being hip-hop (see: John Barnes' legendary rap in World In Motion)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1396125510' post='2410277']
Rap is just a vocal style. Hip Hop is a genre of music in which rap is commonly featured. You can have rap without the song being hip-hop (see: John Barnes' legendary rap in World In Motion)
[/quote]thankyou for correcting me. you are very astute in your correction of what i said.

Way back in uni (1993 it would have been) I was into alternative rock - Faith No More, Prong, Mr Bungle and other styles of rock (RHCP, Nirvana, all that stuff - still love it all actually). Anyway, I'd been hearing mates talk about a band, and these mates were all into the same music as me. So I bought their 12" EP and played it. It started with a great, simple bassline then some kick-ass drums and I expected some awesome grungy guitar to come in. It never did but I loved the song and was hooked. It was Ain't Going Out Like That by Cypress Hill. I still consider it a rock song as good as any from the 90s :)

So that's how I got into hip-hop. I'm back into my rock (a very broad term admittedly) music but still like some of the 90s hip-hop stuff. One of my favourite albums of all time though is the soundtrack from Judgement Night. A below-par movie but fantastic soundtrack. They mixed 90s hip-hop with 90s alt rock so we have fantastic (in my opinion) mash-ups such as Faith No More and Boo-Yaa Tribe:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7PT2FB2ze4[/media]

And Pearl Jam and Cypress Hill:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBGEYJF8nJY[/media]

I got heavily into Hip Hop about 5 years ago and since then Its been a great journey discovering a ton of a great new artists! It now accounts for a good 30% of my music collection and I can only see that increasing.

I love everything from 80s/90s (Eric B & Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Mobb Deep, Wu Tang Clan (& Solo albums), Nas, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Outkast, Dead Prez) the new artists blowing up now (Kendrick Lamar, Ab Soul, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, Big KRIT, Danny Brown), groups (J5, Wu Tang, Blackalicious, Latyrx, The Roots) to everything in between (Eminem, Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, Jay Z, Common, J. Cole, Immortal Technique, Kid Cudi, TI, Wale). I could go on all day!

I find hip hop gets written off by a lot of people before even giving it a chance, everybody still assumes its always about guns/drugs and money as that's what they hear on the radio!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1396216200' post='2411147']
Couple of really great old-school albums that nobody apparently knows about:

The Goats - Tricks Of The Shade

Terminator X - And The Valley Of The Jeep Beats
[/quote]

The Goats: see above.