Why become a member? ×

I cut a string too short, but found a solution!!!!!!

tommorichards

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1396111259' post='2410059']
Its the vintage reissue series, V96. Sounds exactly like a jazz should.

[/quote]

For goodness sake boy, make your bed before posting on the interweb !

• 6 years later...

Thread resurrection:

Shame on you lot telling the OP to just 'buy another string' !

This is my kind of thing; inventive, creative, ecologically aware, and above all cheap. Oh and it saved me yesterday.  Set of second hand strings, one already cut too short. Guy I bought them from too tiresome to talk to so I needed a cunning solution and here it is. Thank you @tommorichards (if you still exist)

• Like 2

Well I didn’t spot this thread when it first originated but if I had, I would have told you that the knotted string I have on my old Ibanez 8 string has been on there for at least 14 years- now about 20!

In fairness I hardly play it from one decade to the next and the strings are as dead as dodos now but I don’t think there’s a worry about the longevity of the knot. 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, therealting said:

In fairness, if I had a set of Thomastiks or Elixirs snap there, I’d probably do the same... they’re bloody expensive!

Absolutely. The set I bought were expensive (everything's relative of course) which is why I got them second hand. That little sheet shank is the business. 

Martin at the gallery once told me it was best to not cut strings so I never cut them unless I absolutely have to - eg if I'm fitting long scale strings to a short scale bass (like Fender do as standard with the JMJ mustang) and there would be about half a mile to wrap around each tuner's capstan if they weren't cut.

I had a different solution, I’d cut the G marginally too short - it reached the hole, and went part way round the capstan, but kept slipping under tension.

So I held it in place in the hole with a small self-tapping screw, which held it enough to bring it up to tune.

It’s on my 'only use at home’ bass (well of course they all are at the moment!!), but it’s been on and in tune for several months now.

But all disclaimers apply......

On 19/04/2020 at 09:27, Baxlin said:

I had a different solution, I’d cut the G marginally too short - it reached the hole, and went part way round the capstan, but kept slipping under tension.

So I held it in place in the hole with a small self-tapping screw, which held it enough to bring it up to tune.

It’s on my 'only use at home’ bass (well of course they all are at the moment!!), but it’s been on and in tune for several months now.

But all disclaimers apply......

So if it does let go, you'll have a small screw as well as a flailing string shooting out... just saying.

Stay safe.

14 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

So if it does let go, you'll have a small screw as well as a flailing string shooting out... just saying.

Stay safe.

I’m assuming the self tapper will have cut a thread, so it would have to unscrew itself, but I take your point.