Why become a member? ×

Zoom G3? (Verdict?)

Musicman20

I have a Zoom B3, and its probably the best bargain I've bought for a long time. I'm really impressed with how far multi effects have come in 10-15 years.

What is the G3 like? Just as good as the B3?

I want to be able to jam along and write riffs, but also have a good selection of amp models and effects....

I was going to use the B3, but at the prices of these units (cheaper than buying one individual guitar effect) I may as well treat the guitar to its own unit!

Edited by Musicman20

• 3 weeks later...

It arrived from Amazon (cheaper than everywhere else and good returns system).

I'm happy with it. At first I forgot how to use the patches as I was concentrating on getting rid of hum from my Telecaster.

I was too busy moving away from the monitor, then realising it was a pretty quiet unit, once I was in my normal practice space.

I then went through the instructions and found the preset patches. Some of them really are fantasic. The U2 delay patch and Beatles AC-30 type patch are really useful. There are loads of possibilites with this pedal, the same as the B3, but you can have 6 effects/simulators on at once, which is pretty amazing.

For £114, I am very impressed. It is a great bit of kit and will, for now, be used as a practice tool. A few hours a week I'm going to spend time getting better on guitar and learning a few songs/writing a few parts of songs.

It doesn't have 'aux in' but hook it upto the computer with USB and just use headphones for the sound from both via a few settings changes, and you can even play along/learn from YouTube.

The HD Reverb is brilliant.

It's also really fun to whack on a lot of distortion/gain and write some dirty riffs. It makes me realise how easy it can be to write heavier riffs. Even the Telecaster sounds meaty (yet still has the twang and clarity).

IMO, yet another great Zoom product.

Edited by Musicman20

• 6 months later...

I have the B1XON and am considering getting the G1XON. From your experience of the B3 and G3, would you think it worthwhile getting both the guitar and bass versions? Some of the effects are common between the two. But particularly the amp and cab models are different. Currently I'm thinking that this alone would justify having both, but would appreciate hearing your opinion.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have both the G3X and the B3, and they're both flawed master pieces. With the G3X even though you can set up 6 effects, you can only switch three on and off individually at any one time which means creating separate patches for anything complicated. I also REALLY miss not having access to tap tempo button. A mod is possible where you can attach an external footswitch but it does involve a bit of soldering.

The B3 is pretty good too - really wanted 6 effect slots for (ironically) effects that always stay on like compressor, noise gate and amp/speaker sims. Separate tap tempo and MIDI in/out would have been handy too for synth bass stuff and mapping other effects.

As it is in both cases, I've sourced always on effects to other pedals and both Zooms are more or less relegated to delays and nothing more. Great value and more practical than my Lexicon MPXG2's but the MPXG2 still reigns supreme for everything but portability.