Why become a member? ×

another what amp thread ... with a twist

col.decker

Please forgive me for the 'what amp do I need' thread, I have looked through the forum ... honest guv ;)

anyhoo the twist, I'm after a small amp quiet amp. In the band that I'm in all I need to do is compete with an acoustic guitar, acoustic mandoilin, and a bodhran, plus the PA. So onstage volumes don't need to be much as I'll DI the amp into the PA. Do you think a practice combo would do the job? Clean sound is all that is required from the amp, budget upto £200

The guitarist suggested a Behringer BXL900a but the word Behringer put me off. Im thinking one of the Fender Rumble 75s.

2nd hand is good if you've got something to sell

Edited by col.decker

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1395838238' post='2406873']
Add £9 to your budget :)

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-lowdown-studio-110/23607?gclid=CImZ88iesL0CFY_HtAodJhwAKw"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFY_HtAodJhwAKw[/url]
[/quote]

Thats a good choice, i'm gonna throw the Ampeg BA110 in the mix as well.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1395838238' post='2406873']
Add £9 to your budget :)

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-lowdown-studio-110/23607?gclid=CImZ88iesL0CFY_HtAodJhwAKw"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFY_HtAodJhwAKw[/url]
[/quote]

Good suggestion, but you'll have to look for a used one:

[size=3][color=#80A0C0][font=Tahoma][b]Sorry, this product has been discontinued[/b][/font][/color][/size]

Quite easy to find on eBay / Gumtree / BC though!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395840621' post='2406927']
Good suggestion, but you'll have to look for a used one:

[size=3][color=#80a0c0][font=Tahoma][b]Sorry, this product has been discontinued[/b][/font][/color][/size]

Quite easy to find on eBay / Gumtree / BC though!
[/quote]

Balls!

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1395839124' post='2406893']
Thats a good choice, i'm gonna throw the Ampeg BA110 in the mix as well.
[/quote]
[quote name='col.decker' timestamp='1395840149' post='2406914']
coolio. The Ampeg looks nice, would 30watts cut it? I know watts doen't really mean that much, but you know what I mean.
[/quote]

Well I`ve got the smaller BA108, which is 25 watts into an 8-inch speaker, and for home use, with a passive Precision can`t put it on more than 2 otherwise it would drown the TV/stereo out. I used it with my acoustic bass in a session that had acoustic guitar, percussion and bass, and it amplified it well enough to keep up with that line-up at about 4 on volume, no instruments into the pa.

The 110 is 35 watts into a 10-inch speaker so I would reckon it would be fine for acoustic gigs. They have a very nice old-school Ampeggy tone too.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1395860801' post='2407345']
The 110 is 35 watts into a 10-inch speaker so I would reckon it would be fine for acoustic gigs. They have a very nice old-school Ampeggy tone too.
[/quote]

This, just make sure you buy the one you try. I bought 2 BA110's from separate online retailers and both failed for different reasons. Great amps as long as you get a good one.

In my more recent experience the new Fender Rumbles are ace. I bought a Rumble 40 a month or so ago and it is LOUD, versatile, and sounds lovely with my Precision. Built in XLR out, overdrive channel and a 5-band EQ all for £185.

wow those new fenders look ace! One of the things putting me off some of the other amps is that they 'look' crap (yeah yeah I know). But why don't they make them look sexy?

So that's it, it'll be one of them fenders, now I have to decide on the 40 or 100.... grrr.