Why become a member? ×

I feel dirty (I love the P bass)

mcnach

I have owned P basses on and off over the years, but never grew on me enough.

Yesterday I took one of my Sue Ryder P basses, which was strung with Status flats and had a Wizard Thumper pickup on, and I put on a set of roundwounds (Rotosounds swing 66). The action was never optimal because the neck needed a shim... so I did that too.

Wow. :gas:

I already had a "revelation" last summer with my Squier 'Mike Dirnt' Precision... but I forgot about it, and that bass just feels "flimsier" than the SR.

It's not going to replace my Stingray of Jazz... but I'm definitely going to stop looking down at Precisions. (yes, I did, :blush: )

Amazing isn't it, how we all perhaps have imagined that the oldest of the electric basses somehow was deficient because it only had 1 and not 2 pickups, and that it only had a tone control to cut treble rather than controls to boost or cut treble, mids and bass and that it only had 4 strings and 20 frets instead of 5 or 6 strings and a double octave neck... but you know what, sometimes they get it pretty much 'right' from the beginning and the simplest things can be the best... :)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1395650271' post='2404596']
Amazing isn't it, how we all perhaps have imagined that the oldest of the electric basses somehow was deficient because it only had 1 and not 2 pickups, and that it only had a tone control to cut treble rather than controls to boost or cut treble, mids and bass.
[/quote]

These things can be easily rectified !

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/bitsa-main.html][/url]

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1395650557' post='2404597']
These things can be easily rectified !

[url="http://www.ephotobay.com/share/bitsa-main.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Nice!

I have another SR P bass in pieces, and I intend to put a single P, but at the pace more or less where you put your second one (approx. Stingray location), or a bit closer to the neck perhaps. P type pickups sound great there!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1395626417' post='2404536']

Yesterday I took one of my Sue Ryder P basses, which was strung with Status flats and had a Wizard Thumper pickup on, and I put on a set of roundwounds (Rotosounds swing 66). The action was never optimal because the neck needed a shim... so I did that too.

I already had a "revelation" last summer with my Squier 'Mike Dirnt' Precision... but I forgot about it, and that bass just feels "flimsier" than the SR.

It's not going to replace my Stingray of Jazz... but I'm definitely going to stop looking down at Precisions. (yes, I did, :blush: )
[/quote]

Are you just looking at basses and saying you love them?... Do you really love P bass, or are you just saying that because you saw it?

I love he look of a well played (not artificially relic'ed) P Bass; particularly Scott Devine's and Scott Thunes' Ps. I also love the look of a Rickenbacker.

I do [i]not[/i] like the feel of them though. The gods have decreed that I am a Jazz man - 'twas always thus and ever shall be.

I reckon I've done alright.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1395679972' post='2405015']
I love he look of a well played (not artificially relic'ed) P Bass; particularly Scott Devine's and Scott Thunes' Ps. I also love the look of a Rickenbacker.

I do [i]not[/i] like the feel of them though. The gods have decreed that I am a Jazz man - 'twas always thus and ever shall be.

I reckon I've done alright.
[/quote]

Sounds like you need a precision with a slim/jazz profile neck ;)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1395679972' post='2405015']

[/quote]

Scott Devine's Precision IS an artificially relic'ed bass

http://youtu.be/eoVfamlcbYo

The Precision bass is a wonderful instrument, once you realise its limitations it encourages the player to make the different sounds required with technique, aside from varying the tone control maybe. Yes there are better players, better construction, better tonal possibilities on other basses, but to me the Precision feels "right". Didn`t always, but once I got it, now any other bass, although they may be great, they just don`t feel right to me.

I have to admit i gigged my Farida P with my soul/funk band last Friday and it sounded great in the mix. I had changed the pick up for a Seymour Duncan for the gig, not that the original was bad in anyway but the Seymor has made it a bit more vintage sounding.
Loving the fact that the Farida has a jazz width neck too....however i missed that jazz bridge pick up for 'The Chicken' :P

Edited by Raslee

I have a Frankenfender P bass with a 1980's, Mighty Mite pickup, stuck in a Squier body, attached to an old P bass neck. I've not been able to put it down since I put it together a few months ago. I play it in my Ska band and it sounds epic. It also sounds great recorded.

I thought I hated Precisions, what happened?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1395626417' post='2404536']

[/quote]

Are you serious? :lol:

A

I love my Aria STB P bass. What's more it cost me £10 :yarr: . Found it on Gumtree, filthy, covered in student stickers and with "knackered electrics mate". Clean up, re seat the bridge earth and it's my go-to bass of all the 14 I've bought in the last three years.

Edited by lownote12