Why become a member? ×

Zon basses

marcus bell

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1395580626' post='2403859']
John Wetton and Dick Nolan (It Bites first time around) both use/d Zons. Good enough for me. Can't afford one though :( . Whatever happened to Dick Nolan?
[/quote]

I remember when they had one of Dick Nolan's Zon basses for sale in the Bass Center at Wapping. That must be a very long time ago, though. Last I heard of Dick, he was playing bass for the Alan Parsons Project, and also with Ray Davies. I seem to remember that he is playing an old P Bass nowadays, in stark contrast to his Zon era.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1395578153' post='2403829']
I think maybe the Zon's are slightly 'woodier' in their tone, I guess this could be due to the fretboards being made from a wood composite called Phenowood. Layers of birch wood impregnated with phenolic.

Status basses and most Modulus are just phenolic resin. Though Modulus were sometimes built with chechen fretboards, Steve Lawson's are I believe.
[/quote]

I think the phenowood board combined with the glued in neck join on the Legacy Elite basses gives them their warmer-than-usual tone.

[quote name='RichValentine' timestamp='1395858936' post='2407301']
I loved my Zon.

I eventually sold it on here but it is the only bass I've owned that I regret selling. If I ever need another bass beyond the one being built for me, or a 4 string I will buy another.

[/quote]
I also owned 'that' bass (was it before/after you Rich?) and I'd buy it back tomorrow! :)