Why become a member? ×

Squier classic vibe precision Vs Yamaha BB414

Greggo

I like the idea of getting a Squier CV Precision to go along with my CV 6 string telecaster and I feel that the P pickup suits the music I'm recording at the moment anyway so may move on the Yammy and another instrument to fund.

Taking away the fact the Yammy has a J pickup more than the CV does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be worth pulling the trigger on a CV but losing the Yammy. In other words would the p pickup alone on CV be better than the P pup on Yammy. I've always felt the Yammy sounded great but perhaps a tad too hot.

I know it should be a case of playing one, but as this is a knowledgeable forum and most combinations of basses have been tested thought I'd ask first!

Thanks

Edited by Greggo

I had a BB415 and note have a BB1025X. The P pickups on the BB's are fatter and darker than what you'd find on a Precision. I preferred the brighter sound of a real Precision pickup to the ceramic one in the 4 series, but the alnico one in the 10 series sounds amazing, definitely worth the upgrade.

To answer your question though, what kind of sound are after? Precisions can cop a lot of tones, from rounds played with a pick with the tone control all the way up, to fingerstyle with flats with the tone rolled off.

If it were me, I would try and find a way keep both! The P strung with flats for the real deal vintage P sound, and the BB with rounds for its awesome rock growl when both pickups are on!

Edited by dannybuoy

IMO, the 400 series Yamahas will never quite get the Precision tone. They are more versatile due to having the two pickups but getting that exact P sound - they're not quite there. A key part of this equation is that the neck pickup on the Yamaha is a bit nearer the neck that the Fender P sweetspot, so the tone from that pickup will always be a bit rounder and darker than most P's. I think the Yamahas are great basses ..... but they are not a Precision.

So, in answer .... If you think the Precision sound fits what you are looking for, then get a Precision. I can't comment on the CV as I've not owned one or even played one for more than a few notes. Simply play as many Precisions as you can and choose the best one. The quality of the body and neck woods and the efficacy of the neck/body joint will have a large effect on the tone of each one. Thankfully, quality P pickups can be pickup up for only a few quid so I'd simply pick the one that is the most resonant and simply feels the most "right" in your hands. They're all different.

Oh, and a final comment .... try and avoid Basswood bodies. IMO they do not make a nice P at all. Ideally Ash (with Rosewood board) or Alder (with maple board) to get the ideal balance of "spank", "guts" and "heft" (which are all completely useless and subjective terms I know).

Thanks for replies.

What makes me think I want a Precision may sound silly, but years ago I used to own an Encore P bass copy and I have never had a better recorded bass tone than that bass believe it or not, even though I've owned "better" basses.

So I'm hoping a decent precision is what I would like to get sounds I want.

Or maybe I need to get another Encore P?!

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1395608218' post='2404349']
Thanks for replies.

What makes me think I want a Precision may sound silly, but years ago I used to own an Encore P bass copy and I have never had a better recorded bass tone than that bass believe it or not, even though I've owned "better" basses.

So I'm hoping a decent precision is what I would like to get sounds I want.

Or maybe I need to get another Encore P?!
[/quote]

Some cheap P's can sound absolutely magic. I think it's a function of the basic Fender design that simply "works".
Play a load of them and you're bound to find a gem eventually.

I've recently taken possession of a Squier VM Precision (bought off here); it's the amber/maple finish (so the body is 'soft maple' which is a little harder and heavier than alder) and I love it (it's still fitted with the stock Duncan Designed pickup). I now know what all the fuss is about with Precisions; there's something very 'musical' about the sound that's just that bit different than anything else I've played. Mine's definitely going to be a keeper!

I went into a music shop to try out various Squier Precision including a 50s CV, and the one I liked the most was actually a P/J Squier Affinity (also the cheapest).

I think my Yamaha plays slightly better but having played the Affinity side by side with a bass similar to mine (a BB424) the squier did sound a bit nicer to my ears and the P pickup was still in the correct place despite having a J in there too.

I may just keep the Yamaha though for time being and see what comes up and will use it as trade fodder (as it was itself acquired in trade).

Edited by Greggo

• 2 months later...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1395561603' post='2403608']
IMO, the 400 series Yamahas will never quite get the Precision tone. They are more versatile due to having the two pickups but getting that exact P sound - they're not quite there. A key part of this equation is that the neck pickup on the Yamaha is a bit nearer the neck that the Fender P sweetspot, so the tone from that pickup will always be a bit rounder and darker than most P's. I think the Yamahas are great basses ..... but they are not a Precision.

So, in answer .... If you think the Precision sound fits what you are looking for, then get a Precision. I can't comment on the CV as I've not owned one or even played one for more than a few notes. Simply play as many Precisions as you can and choose the best one. The quality of the body and neck woods and the efficacy of the neck/body joint will have a large effect on the tone of each one. Thankfully, quality P pickups can be pickup up for only a few quid so I'd simply pick the one that is the most resonant and simply feels the most "right" in your hands. They're all different.

Oh, and a final comment .... try and avoid Basswood bodies. IMO they do not make a nice P at all. Ideally Ash (with Rosewood board) or Alder (with maple board) to get the ideal balance of "spank", "guts" and "heft" (which are all completely useless and subjective terms I know).
[/quote]

Bit of a resurrection, but I thought I would just add that the Yammy BB P pickup is actually in the same sweetspot you'd find on a Fender/Squier P. It just looks closer to the neck because the Yamaha has 21 frets instead of the Fenders 20. If you measure from the 20th fret on the Yammy, it's the same.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1401657704' post='2465654']

Bit of a resurrection, but I thought I would just add that the Yammy BB P pickup is actually in the same sweetspot you'd find on a Fender/Squier P. It just looks closer to the neck because the Yamaha has 21 frets instead of the Fenders 20. If you measure from the 20th fret on the Yammy, it's the same.
[/quote]

Are you sure ? My comments came from the BB424 I used to own. I'm sure the pickup was about 5mm or so nearer the nut (or 12th fret, which is another std place that many folks measure from). I'd never measure from the fretboard end for the reasons you mention.
Fender's will be pretty much 11" from the 12th fret to the centre of the P pickup where the two pieces meet. Maybe someone here can measure their BB's ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1401689437' post='2465764']

Are you sure ? My comments came from the BB424 I used to own. I'm sure the pickup was about 5mm or so nearer the nut (or 12th fret, which is another std place that many folks measure from). I'd never measure from the fretboard end for the reasons you mention.
Fender's will be pretty much 11" from the 12th fret to the centre of the P pickup where the two pieces meet. Maybe someone here can measure their BB's ?
[/quote]

Edit: Ah I'd previously gone on the fact that a Fender P pup looks to be equidistant from the end of the neck to the top of the bridge, ie, bang in the middle.
Just measured properly and..

My BB415 measures 11" and 10/16ths or 295mm.
Maybe the BB's P pickup is actually further back than a Fender P? Might explain why it sounds clearer if it is.
Wish I still had my old P bass around to check just out of interest.
Does anyone reading this have a P bass (feel silly even asking that one!) that they could measure just to see?

Edited by miles'tone