Why become a member? ×

Storing basses in gig bags

tbonepete

Not sure if this is the right section so mods feel free to move if there's somewhere better for this.
I have a couple of basses that I wish to move on, but they seem to be sticking round here for a while. I don't use them, and they're just getting in the way in my music room/office. Neither bass has a hard case, but I have padded gig bags for them. My question is, will they come to harm if I down tune them a little bit, and store them upright in a cupboard with some padding between them from the floor to the top of the body, so that the necks are not touching, or leaning on anything at all?, ie free of stress, and covered by the gig bags. It seems that the basses may be here for some time, so I don't want harm to come to them, but also, I don't want them taking up floor/stand space either.
Storage advice would be welcome,
Please and thank you,
Cheers Pete

Pete, I am no expert but I would suggest that you don't down tune the basses. The necks are supposed to be under tension. I would guess that the single biggest factor involved in the safe storage of instruments (especially wooden instruments) is one of keeping them stored at an appropriate temperature/humidity.

A simple rule of thumb is that if the storage temperature is not comfortable for a person (too hot OR too cold) then it is uncomfortable for a wooden bass.

Ah, thanks guys,
I only asked about de tuning as just about every bass I've ever tried at a shop has been unpacked and hung up on a wall at least half a tone down, and I assumed it was like that from the manufacturers who couldn't possibly know how long it would be before that bass was sold/setup properly/tuned to pitch etc. also do you think it will be ok as long as the body is supported and the neck is not touching anything?
Thanks in advance
Cheers Pete

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1395350696' post='2401554']
Ah, thanks guys,
I only asked about de tuning as just about every bass I've ever tried at a shop has been unpacked and hung up on a wall at least half a tone down, and I assumed it was like that from the manufacturers who couldn't possibly know how long it would be before that bass was sold/setup properly/tuned to pitch etc. also do you think it will be ok as long as the body is supported and the neck is not touching anything?
Thanks in advance
Cheers Pete
[/quote]
I honestly don't think there's any sound rationale for shops to store basses in this way...

I am confident your method of storage will be absolutely fine.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1395351015' post='2401563']

I honestly don't think there's any sound rationale for shops to store basses in this way...

[/quote]

They do this with guitars too. I always thought it was to make them seem easier to play!

It's more likely to be busy/lazy (delete as appropriate) shop assistants.

Manufacturers ship basses de-tuned to reduce the risk of damage during transit - a neck under full tension is easier to damage than a neck that's not.

I imagine with the sheer amounts of guitars shipped to shops they don't always have time to tune every one exactly to pitch before they go on the wall, which may end up with the odd one being a semi-tone out.

If it were me and I wanted to keep the necks as stable as poss... and only you really know about the necks, I would store them under a bed, maybe face down
so as not to have any stress on the head stock...
I wouldn't keep them in anything enclosed if I wanted the strings to stay ok...as in not dulling off....but maybe be prepareed to put a fresher set on for the sale.
Basically, I let the basses breathe....nothing too cold, nothing too warm.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks Guys, all helpful tips.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The under the bed thing isn't going to happen because the beds are all divan type, and I think the inside of the gig bags are a woven fabric of somesort (manmade of course). Re the strings going off, I'm not overly worried about that as I'm not selling these as new basses, and in fact I usually change strings even on brand new basses because they've gone dull, or aren't to my liking, but it's never stopped me buying, or trading. Each to their own though.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The best course would be for them to find a new owner, and I wouldn't have to worry about storage then :) [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I can live in hope.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks again for the advice,[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cheers Pete :) [/font]

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1395350696' post='2401554']
Ah, thanks guys,
Thanks in advance
Cheers Pete
[/quote]

The difference in tuning on a new bass in a shop, is usually the new strings stretching.