Why become a member? ×

Kazoo

Annoying Twit

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1413910876' post='2583519']
I'm surprised you can't just pop into a kiosk at a large train station or somewhere like WHSmith's and find them in a bin in the party supplies, like for New Year's celebrations.
[/quote]

I bought a plastic one, but am still thinking of getting a better one in the future. The one I have definitely looks like something that you'd find in a toy store, though it makes a sound. Being quite a buzzy sound, initial experiments suggest that they respond quite well to effects.

We use kazoo a lot - sometimes there's even a kazoo three-way. We did have a set of those metal ones that come in a cardboard tube, but either the seams have split or the ring that holds the paper has broken off.

You're much better off with a £1.50 Stagg jobbie - they last longer, sound the same and you can buy a sweetie jar full for about £10 and hand them out at gigs for a bit of crowd participation.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1414081014' post='2585648']
You're much better off with a £1.50 Stagg jobbie - they last longer, sound the same and you can buy a sweetie jar full for about £10 and hand them out at gigs for a bit of crowd participation.
[/quote]

+1
Long story short.

My daughter and her husband wanted "All You Need Is Love" as the first dance at their wedding reception.

My mates band, playing the reception, who leaned to the Blockheads style of music agreed to play this but weren't sure about the brass bits so I bought 100 of these Kazoos (dirt cheap) for the guests to join in as the brass section.

Everyone, from Aunt Iris (99 years old) to 2 year old grandson and about five different nationalities present did their bit.

A 108 piece Kazoo band with Blockheads style backing has to be heard to be believed. :D

It was tremendous fun and all went home clutching their Kazoos, cake and other goodies.

That was 5 years ago and I understand most have still got their Kazoos ready for the next family get together.

Edited by Jazzneck

I finally found a music shop near by (as near by as anywhere is in this country...) that has the replacement reeds for the metal kazoos you find on shop counters. I wanted to buy a couple but, for various reasons I'm still not sure about, they wouldn't sell me any but gave me one for free... Anyway, they said that they get given them by the company that supplies the kazoos. So, if you find somewhere that sells those ones, they should also have the replacements.