Why become a member? ×

"Unforgiven " from Highcroft in Nottingham

MetricMike

We have been putting this band together for a while now and while we have nearly 90 mins of original material for our live set, this is our first "proper" recording. The plan at the moment is to put out one new track a month, (but we will see how that goes).

[media]http://youtu.be/4rbgLeKSMHE[/media]

For anyone who is interested, the bass and drums (plus vocal and guitar guide tracks) were recorded on a Korg D888-8 hard drive recorder, transferred to Nuendo on a PC, which is where I added the guitar tracks. The vocals were recorded at Elementz studios in Nottingham and then transferred onto the PC for mixing and editing.

Incidentally our bass player (Billy) has only been playing for just over a year, but was a hip-hop producer prior to that. Just shows what you can do with good ears and timing (perhaps the best of any bass player I have played with, and there's been a few of those!).

Nice tight track, good arrangement, enjoyable material. You can't underestimate the value of excellent vocals as well. If I was to nit-pick, I'd suggest a wider pan on the guitars, and a little less level on the background vocals. But again, that's being incredibly detailed. As it is certainly does not detract from the high quality of the overall sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, and apologies for not replying before.

We did have a version prior to this where the background vocals were further back in the mix, as you suggested, but decided in the end to go with this one. It was a close call though. We won't be re-working this as we have too many other tracks we want to get down , but your suggestion on the wider panning on the guitars is a good one and will bear it in mind for future tracks.