Why become a member? ×

Need a hand gents

parker_muse

Afternoon all,

My Trace died last week, and i'm looking to sort out a new rig. I LOVE the ampeg, tubey, gainy rock tone and its what i've got recorded on a lot of tracks.

However, in September i'm moving to London and i'm going to be living in a box. I also don't drive, and can't keep relying on bandmates to bail me out on that one!

So, you know my tone, you know i need it portable, and you now know I have roughly £500 to drop. Can I get away with a 1x12? Will it shift enough air? Whats the thoughts on the terror bass?

Tom.

for me it totally depends on the gig, if you in a loud rockband a 112 might not do it might be safer grabbing a 212.

onlky have good things to say about the terror bass, my 1000 is silly loud the 500w version would be plenty and i get round the eq being a bit minimal by putting a rack eq in my chain.

andy

The Ashdown MiBass 2.0 is a wicked little head to check out. Really powerful and will fit in a bass gig bag. You'll easily run a 4x10 off them if ever needed so you can imagine the head room you get from a 1x10/2x10/1x12/2x12. A lot of gain to them and it throws out 640w!

Here's a link if you're interested. - £299 from DV247
[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ashdown-mibass-2-0-bass-guitar-amp-head--104679"]http://www.dv247.com...mp-head--104679[/url]

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist

Have you seen this thread? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/232057-markbass-cmd-121p-and-alternatives/"]Clickity[/url]

There's a few folk on here use it & Lozz was always an Ampeg man. You can always add another 1x12 if needed.

Oh man that Genz Benz amp looks great, i'll keep my eye out.

I LOVE markbass stuff, but it's a bit out of my price range I think. I played one of the tube 800s into a 2x10 cab of theirs when trying a bass and it sounded unreal. You can drop so much bass in regardless of speaker size.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1394990791' post='2397464']
Have you seen this thread? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/232057-markbass-cmd-121p-and-alternatives/"]Clickity[/url]

There's a few folk on here use it & Lozz was always an Ampeg man. You can always add another 1x12 if needed.
[/quote]

Agree, for me Ampeg was king but I find that Markbass sits in just about the same place in the mix, and at a quarter of the weight! There are a few CMD121s on here at present for around £500 and they are plenty loud - it`s what I`ve been using for the last 18 months (sometimes with 112 ext cab), a rarity in itself which must say something for them :D

Do you know what packed up in your Trace head? I've had Trace heads pack up in the past and never spent more than £100 getting them sorted. They had some earthing issues which can be fixed with a little spring washer once the head has been fixed if I remember right. Failing that I'd suggest GB Streamliner or a GK MB Fusion.

yup, I'd look at getting the Trace fixed first, or at least getting quotes.

Even if you don't end up using it (TE kit isn't known for its portability now, is it?) you've got a working amp that you can PX or sell to raise funds for a lightweight head / rig.

The orange TB won't get you the tone you seek. I had one, and it was scarily loud (it was the 1000 watt) but the tone didn't do a lot for me.
If you have 500 quid and want ampeg tone, I'd say a used GK 1001 rb ii (approx 250) GK neo 212 (about the same) then get a sansamp BBDI.
Loud, portable and as close to an ampeg as you will get without one.