Why become a member? ×

Best way to record bass at home/office

Jasonoon

Hey guys

I do quite a number of recordings in my office or sometimes at home for demos of songs etc.

What's the best way you guys know of recording bass?

I've tried running a bass thru a Pod HD500 or straight into a Presonus Firestudio Tube... Results are alright.. Not too bad but not great either

Any suggestions?

Besides using an amp of course... Don't wanna get killed by my colleagues haha

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1394556524' post='2392653']
What software are you recording with? You shouldn't be having any problems whatsoever getting a good tone with a good quality interface like that Presonus.

Liam
[/quote]

This!

The only other thing I could suggest would be to try something like a BDI21 for a bit of extra tone shaping before the interface.

EDIT: ignore me, just seen that you've already tried a pod.

Edited by theyellowcar

I'd look for an outboard pre/tone shaping unit. The Behringer BDI-21 gets a LOT of respect round here because they're cheap, but punch way above their weight (and for my money, sounds better than the Sansamp it's modelled on), or if you're after something a bit more 'upper class' then I'd go for a Sadowsky outboard pre or the Dave Hall DI-EQ

If you're after recording something with a bit of dirt in your tone then the DHA VT1 EQ or Xotic BB Bass preamp will do this beautifully.

[quote name='Jasonoon' timestamp='1394695401' post='2394038']
Thanks guys!

Will check those out... the Behringer sounds like an interesting option!
[/quote]

For £30 you can't really go wrong, and I'm pretty sure you would get your money back on here if you didn't get on with it.

It is a great bit of kit. I've heard stories of people using them as a credible amp replacement at gigs with PA support.