Why become a member? ×

Taylor T5 Alternatives

LiamPodmore

I made the mistake of trying a Taylor T5 (Hollowbody electric/acoustic hybrid thing of beauty) on saturday and now i want one, but as is often the case, £1900 is out of my budget.

Anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives?

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1394468415' post='2391634']
I made the mistake of trying a Taylor T5 (Hollowbody electric/acoustic hybrid thing of beauty) on saturday and now i want one, but as is often the case, £1900 is out of my budget.

Anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives?

Liam
[/quote]

Taylor T5X is about £1259, so a cheaper alternative. Aside from that, there isn't really anything that matches up I'm afraid. Start saving lol!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1394483995' post='2391892']
[b]Taylor T5[/b]

[b]Crafter SA - Circa £500-550[/b]

Bout-mounted controls / pick-up in neck position. Maybe worth a try? :)
[/quote]

I've just been looking at these. So far from youtube stuff it sounds quite nice, but it seems they aren't too easy to get my hands on one to test anywhere around here annoyingly.

Liam

Black one in The Music Cellar in Stockport [url="http://www.themusiccellar.co.uk/crafter-slim-arch-series-sa-tbk-translucent-black?keyword=crafter&category_id=0&model=1"]according to their website[/url]

Mind you, that could mean 'Yes we've got one, except we haven't got it in the shop and it's still somewhere in China'.

Good luck with your search :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1394508400' post='2392079']
Mind you, that could mean 'Yes we've got one, except we haven't got it in the shop and it's still somewhere in China'.
[/quote]
Reminds me of the Python Cheese shop sketch:

Sales assistant: "Welcome to the National Acoustic Guitar Shop, sir. Is there anything I could help you with, on this marvellously fine day?"
Customer: "I was sitting in the car on the northbound lane of the A34 just now, listening to the Nolan Sisters greatest hits, and I came over all...musical."
Sales assistant: "Musical, sir?"
Customer: "Euphonius."
Sales assistant: "Eh?"
Customer: "Mellifluent!"
Sales assistant: "Come again?"
Customer: "Eee ah felt raht ooplifted an' inspayad! 'Ad an attack of the Demis Roussoses!"
Sales assistant: "Ah, inspired."
Customer: "Exactamundo. So I thought to myself, a light caress of the catgut might be just the thing. So I abated my Nolaning forthwith, made haste and impregnated myself in this very establishment."
Sales assistant; "Y'what?"
Customer: "I want to buy a guitar!"
Sales assistant: "Ohhhh...I thought you were complaining about the bass player slapping in the background sir."
Customer: "By Rowan Atkinson's vibrating rubber genetalia, all forms of low frequency embodiment send me off into divine paroxyms of ecstacy!"
Sales assistant: "Come again?"
Customer: "Eeeeee, ah laik a flappy bass line ah do."
Sales assistant: "I see, sir. Certainly gives the cobwebs a clearing!"
Customer: "There better be more than cobwebs between your ears too my son. Now then...how are you on Fylde?"
Sales assistant: "Just sold the last one sir, another shipment won't be ready until next month I'm afraid."
Customer: "Well, not to worry, I'd like to try an Everett."
Sales assistant: "We've been out of them quite some time Sir. Low volume production runs and only when he's got the wood in."
Customer: "I see, clearly I'm the victim of unfortunate timing. How about a Brook?"
Sales assistant: "Normally sir, yes. But the hamster powering the delivery van needed replacing and they'd run out. Bit of a global hamster shortage at the moment I'm afraid. Nothing we can do about it."
Customer: "Cort..?"
Sales assistant: "No."
Customer: "Epiphone?"
Customer: "Taylor?"
Customer: "Martin?"
Customer: "Yamaha...?"
Customer: "Larriviee?"
Sales assistant: [Pauses]"No."
Customer: "Guntfuttock, you can't go wrong with a decent, English brand like Gruntfuttock, can you?"
Sales assistant: "Yes we've got one."
Customer: "Ah!"
Sales assistant: "Except we haven't got it [i]in[/i] the shop as such, sir."
Customer: "What do you mean it isn't [i]in[/i] the shop?"
Sales Assistant: "It's somewhere in China."
Customer:"China?"
Sales assistant: "Well, China-ish. It's still being built...from parts sourced in Burma."
Customer: "So you don't have it?"
Sales assistant: "No, not really sir, sorry."
Customer: "And its not exactly English is it?"
Sales assistant: "Not any more sir, they needed to stay competitive by cutting costs."
Customer: "Do you have any other guitars?"
Sales assistant: "Yes sir, Washburn, Takamine, Ovation, Gretch, Guil-."
Customer: "I [i]mean[/i], do you have any of them in stock...?"
Sales assistant: "Aaaah...not, as it were IN the shop, in a literal sense sir, no."
Customer: "So just for the sake of clarification, my good man. Is this, in fact, a guitar shop?"
Sales assistant: "Oh yes sir!"
Customer: "But you don't appear to have any guitars in stock."
Sales assistant: "We do metaphorically sir. In the sense that we still engage in the process of selling guitars..."
Customer: "I'M NOT HERE TO BUY A METAPHOR MY LAD!!"
Sales assistant: "No sir, but we can certainly sell you a guitar." [Laughs nervously].
Customer: "How can I make an informed purchase decision when you haven't got anything to play...?"
Sales assistant: "We're actually an online business, sir. We rent a cheap shop front on an abandoned, provincial high street just to appear more sophisticated. We can place an order online if you like, sir?"

^^ Sweet Jesus, what did I start? :o :lol:

As for 'shallow bodied acoustic guitars with a Danelectro lipstick', one might scour the world for a Danelectro Convertible. Not [i]quite[/i] a Taylor in the sense of construction and playability yet bizarrely expensive whether original or RI:

[size=3][b]Danelectro Convertible[/b] - 'crafted' from premium grade pine, fibreboard, glue and spit.[/size]

Anyway, good luck in your search for inexpensive Taylorhood, Liam. Let us know how you get on. :)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1394641762' post='2393632']
^^ Sweet Jesus, what did I start? :o :lol:
[/quote]
Had one of them creative urges again and it needed scratching. Haven't been inspired by you for a while [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"][color="#225985"]:heart:[/color][/url]

Nurse Nurse! Kiwi's got out again!! :D

I think i'm going to have to make a journey to test that Crafter in the Music Cellar (Not without a phone call first of course. Not sure where you got Stockport from though Skank, they're in Preston. Much easier to get to.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1394645118' post='2393688']
Not sure where you got Stockport from though Skank, they're in Preston. Much easier to get to.
[/quote]

I'm sorry; I'm from the south.

Preston? Stockport? It's all north to me :lol: