Why become a member? ×

Need A New Computer or Tablet for Music Room, recommendations?

bagsieblue

raspberry pi... Super cheap and linux is fun...

Whats worng with the laptop? if its just grinding a bit you could try a low system requirement linux distro? My elderly little netbook is now doing a happy little DR Avalanche impersonation running ubuntu studio with the hydrogen drum machine!

Crunchbang is good too, seems to run most happily off a USB stick though for some odd reason! :D

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1394280758' post='2389809']
I'm an PC / Android kinda guy, yet I am going to recommend an iPad purely because they are great for musicians since there are so many cheap audio interfaces and audio apps for iOS, for studying/practising/recording as well as amp modelling and FX. So take that as a genuine recommendation of what I think might be best for you rather than just telling you to use what I use!
[/quote]

Ditto here. I had an iPhone (3G then a 4) before switching to Android but I would still say you're probably better off as a musician with an iPad than Android. So long as you don't mind Apple having more control over your content than you have of course. And don't find the design of iOS as laughable as I do :) I mean WTF, it's 100% Early Learning Centre!

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1394632295' post='2393513']
I don't believe so. Macs, because built on a unix box is so much more robust, secure and I find easier to use. But hey that's just me.
[/quote]

I started recording music on my MacBook Pro (which belongs to work but I was allowed personal use of it at home) using GarageBand and oh my god is was so flaky. GarageBand would add random bits of sound into midi tracks. The program stopped working (it would record for one second then stop) after an update that updated GarageBand and OSX. Apple wouldn't even acknowledge there was a problem, let along fix it. I swapped to Reaper on Windows 7 and have been recording without a glitch ever since. Happy days.

Also, I've had OSX (at work) and Windows 7 (at home) for the same amount of time and hand-down, Windows 7 is the more stable of the two. Bear in mind that at home I run games and all sorts of crap on the PC (which is home built and overclocked too) so you'd expect that to be the least reliable. For months OSX would give me the spinning pizza on startup for 10 mins until it settled down. I've never needed to reinstall Windows 7 but OSX has been on that laptop 3 times in the four years I've had it.

I'd say that Macs are only easier to use if you've never been used to working on Windows. Or to put it another way, it's a pain to swap between the two. Best to stick with whichever one you're used to IMO. There's little to no advantage in switching between one or the other.