Why become a member? ×

Classic Albums series. Steely Dan and Others.

bubinga5

I have always loved this series of programs. loved the one on Led Zepplin. thing i love about this programme is the depth they go to discover the band, the music, the interviews, etc

its just a damn good watch, if you love a particular band. just so happens this band are a true gem of a band for me.

sorry the title is The Making of AJA, but its actually Classic Albums as you will see. i have it on DVD. its on SKY next week but i beat them to it. i hope you enjoy it if you haven't seen it already.

hope you guys can share others that are good. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QA9ydTb_bM[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

I remember the Dark Side one - Gilmour ( I think ) told how they used to come into the studio , sit side by side at the desk and 'perform' a mix like they would a gig. Also how his biggest regret was that he will never be able to sit down and listen to it fresh for the first time like a punter can. The Grateful Dead one was good too. They asked the guy what the biggest inspiration for the album was - he thought for a second and just said 'Chemicals'.

How many are there? I own the Rush Moving Pictures/2112 DVD, and have seen the Tom Petty (Torpedoes), Floyd (WYWH and DSOTM) and Black Sabbath (Paranoid) episodes. Some of the ones mentioned above I haven't seen.

But as others have said, they are very well made - educating and entertaining at the same time!

Quality TV for a change!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1394097709' post='2387819']
....still find it hard to believe that they didn't notice that Rainey was playing slap. Becker and Fagen never missed anything so I doubt that something prominent like that would pass their attention....
[/quote]

+1

My view is that they didn't miss it but chose to ignore it because, grudgingly, when they heard it they knew Chuck was right and they were wrong.

i love this series too, but I think there should be another series about crap albums.

They could speak to the people involved in making the records about what went wrong, and also have interviews with members of the record-buying public who wasted their good money on complete dross. The dramatic conclusion of each show could be a face to face meeting between the band and some of the punters who bought the naff albums and got shafted . The musicians could offer cash refunds in the name of justice and reconciliation. I might be able to get back the £7.50 I spent in 1982 on Tales From Topographic Oceans!

Edited by Dingus

I've got this on DVD , plus another few . But I never realised that they did so many other ones . Thanks for the info - gonna buy a few more now . As even if you're not a fan of one of the bands , they're still great to watch , for the band interaction and detail , if nothing else . Were these done by the BBC?

My favourites are:
[b]Fleetwood Mac - Rumours[/b]. Where The engineer was telling us they had so many overdubs and the constant spooling of the tape back and forth practically wore out the oxide coating and lost a lot of the high end.
[b]John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band[/b], where German bass virtuoso Klaus Voormann plays along to the recordings on the same old P Bass he used on the album, playing chords on one song, and did it note for note

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1394097709' post='2387819']
I bought the DVD too...still find it hard to believe that they didn't notice that Rainey was playing slap. Becker and Fagen never missed anything so I doubt that something prominent like that would pass their attention.
[/quote]imo, of course they knew. they just let it go because it sounded great. Rainey's slap was not really out there. just a little more aggressive for that certain part of the song. I think Chuck was spot on.

Sky Arts are doing some good early band documentary's...
I am currently enjoying one on Fleetwood Mac but on what planet
is the Lindsey B/Stevie Nicks band the same one as the Peter Green
named one.
It is not as though Fleetwood and McVie were the main writers..
so never the same band.

Some of those bands allowed a new writer to emerge from within, Gilmore, Collins..altho not sure of his content, tbh.
Little Feat never recovered from Lowell G IMO,

In the case of Fleetwood and McVie, compared to the input of Lindsey B and Stevie Nicks, they could have been anyone.

Not really knocking their ability to reinvent ...as they needed a career, but you could say they lucked out BIG time.