Why become a member? ×

Eurovision - let's have another go

The Dark Lord

I quite like this girl. Not my kinda music, but her Strange Alien track is interesting. Beats Scooch and / or Blue anyway.

Not sure if this is catchy enough to trouble the top of the leaderboard too much come the competition, but good enough not to embarrass us at least.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wFUPCkmlOo[/media]

Edited by The Dark Lord

Oh no we haven't entered something serious have we? No other nation is ever going to vote for us as they all hate us... The only nation that would get less votes than us is America if they were part of europe and they entered...

We're better off putting something ridiculous in and making a a joke of it. Taking it seriously is embarrasing.

Edited by CamdenRob

If we wanna win, we need to roll out the very big guns. I don't mean Englebert or Bonnie ..... I mean Noel Gallagher or Adele or David Bowie or Morrissey.

I suspect we could take a right go at it if One Direction agreed to go into it ......... although I really don't like their music or who they are. They would cause a big stir and have a shot at winning with some bubblegum pop song written by someone.

I think the rest of the continent recognises that we don't take it seriously - so they don't take us seriously. We made a BIG mistake allowing Terry Wogan to talk down to the rest of Europe and belittle them for all of those years. They're getting us back for that - and quite rightly too. And Norton is doing the same thing. What are we thinking?

Like anything in life, if you are going to enter something, do your absolute best. We're not doing that.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1393938166' post='2385989']
If we wanna win, we need to roll out the very big guns. I don't mean Englebert or Bonnie ..... I mean Noel Gallagher or Adele or David Bowie or Morrissey.

I suspect we could take a right go at it if One Direction agreed to go into it ......... although I really don't like their music or who they are. They would cause a big stir and have a shot at winning with some bubblegum pop song written by someone.

I think the rest of the continent recognises that we don't take it seriously - so they don't take us seriously. We made a BIG mistake allowing Terry Wogan to talk down to the rest of Europe and belittle them for all of those years. They're getting us back for that - and quite rightly too. And Norton is doing the same thing. What are we thinking?

Like anything in life, if you are going to enter something, do your absolute best. We're not doing that.
[/quote]

I think you've mistaken this for a genuine music competition?

It will make absolutely no difference if Freddy Mercury comes back from the dead and we put him in. It is uttery impossible for us to win, everyone hates us.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1393882146' post='2385512']
I quite like this girl. Not my kinda music, but her Strange Alien track is interesting. Beats Scooch and / or Blue anyway.

Not sure if this is catchy enough to trouble the top of the leaderboard too much come the competition, but good enough not to embarrass us at least.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wFUPCkmlOo[/media]
[/quote]

"She" should turn out to be a bloke. Worked for Israel in 1998 . It's time we ate our pride and resorted to the same kind of dirty tricks that Johnny Foreigner is using against us. Not that being a transsexual is dirty in any way , I hasten to add.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393939234' post='2386006']
I think you've mistaken this for a genuine music competition?.....

[/quote]

That's our problem right there. It IS a serious music competition. Everyone else treats it so. We used to, with Cliff and Dusty etc ....... we gave it our best people.

Now, decades of Terry Wogan slagging off the rest of the competitors ..... who looked strange to us (but they're culturally very different a lot of these places) ..... has resulted in them getting the knock with us.

If we take it seriously and enter serious people with good catchy chuuunes, like we used to, then we make get somewhere.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1393889491' post='2385618']
Doesn't matter who any country enters this year - best they can hope for is second to Ukraine. <_<
[/quote]This
It will make absolutely no difference if Freddy Mercury comes back from the dead and we put him in. It is uttery impossible for us to win, everyone hates us.
[/quote]and this
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393919855' post='2385715']
Oh no we haven't entered something serious have we? No other nation is ever going to vote for us as they all hate us... The only nation that would get less votes than us is America if they were part of europe and they entered...

We're better off putting something ridiculous in and making a a joke of it. Taking it seriously is embarrasing.
[/quote]and this.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1393941504' post='2386061']
That's our problem right there. It IS a serious music competition. Everyone else treats it so.[/quote]
Which is why Scandinavian countries historically voted for each other, regardless of the 'quality' of the songs. Ditto, the Balkan countries. Ditto the ex-Warsaw Pact states. Additionally the introduction of tele-voting, where viewers themselves can vote for any country except their own, has been massively advantageous for countries with a large number of expatriates living abroad. For example, the three Eurovision countries with the largest population of Turks and ethnic Turks are Germany, France and the Netherlands. And surprise surprise, the three countries that have given Turkey the most points in the last nine years are Germany, France and the Netherlands. Add those points to the ones given by the relative Eurovision new Balkan kids such as Albania and Bosnia, and it is no surprise that Turkey finished in the Top 5 seven times in the years 2003-2012 (having also won it in 2003), having only had one Top 5 finish before phone voting came in in 1998.
But hey, it's all about the songs, right?

Edited by UglyDog

Been far too politically motivated for far too long, Wogan was alluding to it before quitting. Having more eastern countries now involved with natural sympathies toward those to the east of them that have been occupied by British troops has hardly done us any favours either. As it became less and less about music and less and less of a competition I just switched off so it may have changed, not seen it for 3 or 4 years now.

Edited by KevB

Even allowing for the political voting and the "no-one likes the British" thing, if it was in any way a genuine competition we've have been missing out for the last few years, as the acts with the lowest few votes in the main contest are relegated and have to qualify the next time around....

Except we don't have to do that, because along with Germany, Spain, France and Italy we fund entire thing and are exempt from having to qualify....

Allowing for it being a total facre I still enjoy it immensely... I just wish we put a joke entry in every time as a big two fingers up to the 'all chums together' attitude, rather than pretending we have a chance....

Edited by CamdenRob

I think you've mistaken this for a genuine music competition?

[/quote]

Yep! Anyway, what IS the point of Eurovision? Maybe we should just not bother to enter at all?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393949746' post='2386164']
Except we don't have to do that, because along with Germany, Spain, France and Italy we fund entire thing and are exempt from having to qualify....
[/quote]

And how do we fund it? Is it a BBC thing, ie from the licence fee. Perhaps more appropriate for the dosh to come out of our foreign aid budget.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1394011984' post='2386798']
Is this competition still running?

I've managed to avoid it completely for maybe 20 years.

Can't say that my life has been the poorer as a result ...
[/quote]

Au contraire, mon ami. ;) It's probably better for [i]not[/i] having a little corner reserved for sh*tty pop songs, I know mine is.

Edited by paul_5

Guest canonman

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1393922851' post='2385751']
Not bad but the UK will never win Eurovision again, the other countries hate us ! :P

John
[/quote]

^^^ What he said :lol:

This whole "everyone else hates us so we don't win" thing is complete and utter nonsense. Only the Irish (7 wins) have won it more times than GB has (5 wins). We've finished second 15 times. There's only been about 60 competitions, so thats a pretty good success rate.

We don't win it because we enter sh*t songs and because the contest has expanded so there is more competition.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1394018570' post='2386900']
This whole "everyone else hates us so we don't win" thing is complete and utter nonsense. Only the Irish (7 wins) have won it more times than GB has (5 wins). We've finished second 15 times. There's only been about 60 competitions, so thats a pretty good success rate.

We don't win it because we enter sh*t songs and because the contest has expanded so there is more competition.
[/quote]

...... and we don't roll out the big guns.