Why become a member? ×

Peavey Pro 500

MoJ

Hi guys,
just wondered what and if anyone on Basschat has any viws on the Peavey Pro 500.
I currently have one of the new Trace Elliot heads, and you know what its like, sometimes you start to wonder if the grass really is greener on the other side n all that, and I've had my GAS eyes opened for a little while now. The guitar shop I work in has one of these heads in at the moment, at quite an attractive price and being as I work there, I get to take it home if I like. Well, when I say home that'll mean band practice, and when I say if I like, that'll be tomorrow!
I know Peavey generally get the thumbs up round here but just interested in peoples views. How do you get on with the parametric EQ's? Thats my biggest hurdle as I dont like to fiddle too much. Just not sure Id know where to begin. What do I boost and cut etc.
Also, does anyone find the wattage a problem? I mean, how many companies make 4 ohm cabs (though Id like to have four cabs to get to 2 ohms it aint happening for various reasons). This is less of a problem as I hope to be going the BFM cab route soon.
Thanks
Andy

Well the full parametric EQ will probably be a little daunting at first but if you set the freq and Q to what works best and forget about them unless fine tuning you should be able to get the hang of it - plus you can [push in the truck] about with it in the shop first. There are some other cabs that come in 4 ohms but a lot of Peavey cabs used to come in 4 ohms cos their amps went to 2.

EBS cabs are often 4 ohms but I'm not sure about any others.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='24633' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:05 PM']Well the full parametric EQ will probably be a little daunting at first but if you set the freq and Q to what works best and forget about them unless fine tuning you should be able to get the hang of it - plus you can [push in the truck] about with it in the shop first. There are some other cabs that come in 4 ohms but a lot of Peavey cabs used to come in 4 ohms cos their amps went to 2.

EBS cabs are often 4 ohms but I'm not sure about any others.[/quote]

Cool,cheers for the info. Ill look into both the Peavey and EBS cabs, though to it makes sense to match the cab to the head via Peavey cabs.
No band practice tonight :) so it'll have to wait to be tested till another night. I guess the parametric EQ will just take some getting used to and adjusting (me not the EQ) to really get used to it, but Im hoping that I would get closer to the sound I want than with a graphic EQ.
Thanks.
Andy

[quote name='MoJ' post='24623' date='Jun 28 2007, 09:41 PM']Hi guys,
just wondered what and if anyone on Basschat has any viws on the Peavey Pro 500.
I currently have one of the new Trace Elliot heads, and you know what its like, sometimes you start to wonder if the grass really is greener on the other side n all that, and I've had my GAS eyes opened for a little while now. The guitar shop I work in has one of these heads in at the moment, at quite an attractive price and being as I work there, I get to take it home if I like. Well, when I say home that'll mean band practice, and when I say if I like, that'll be tomorrow!
I know Peavey generally get the thumbs up round here but just interested in peoples views. How do you get on with the parametric EQ's? Thats my biggest hurdle as I dont like to fiddle too much. Just not sure Id know where to begin. What do I boost and cut etc.
Also, does anyone find the wattage a problem? I mean, how many companies make 4 ohm cabs (though Id like to have four cabs to get to 2 ohms it aint happening for various reasons). This is less of a problem as I hope to be going the BFM cab route soon.
Thanks
Andy[/quote]

I use one, it's a fantastic amp well worth the money. The Parametric EQ's not that hard to get to grips with and the manual has a few suggestions to help you on your way. what i love about it is that you can turn the effects loop (and mute it ) on and off via a two way latching foot switch. I use an old Electroharmonix Clone theory which is a noisey effect pedal on it's own, but when put in the effects loop its's just the effect you hear and no hissing, superb.... no idea why that works.
The one thing that i did was to change the pre amp valve as it sounds a bit sh*te (can't remember what was in it) to a vintage Mullard valve. Job done fantasic warm overdriven tone....

I use it with an old Trace 1153 cab (300 watt ) or two 1518 Trace cabs depending on the size of the venue.
BUY BUY BUY you won't be disapointed.

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='25300' date='Jun 30 2007, 02:35 PM']I use one, it's a fantastic amp well worth the money. The Parametric EQ's not that hard to get to grips with and the manual has a few suggestions to help you on your way. what i love about it is that you can turn the effects loop (and mute it ) on and off via a two way latching foot switch. I use an old Electroharmonix Clone theory which is a noisey effect pedal on it's own, but when put in the effects loop its's just the effect you hear and no hissing, superb.... no idea why that works.
The one thing that i did was to change the pre amp valve as it sounds a bit sh*te (can't remember what was in it) to a vintage Mullard valve. Job done fantasic warm overdriven tone....

I use it with an old Trace 1153 cab (300 watt ) or two 1518 Trace cabs depending on the size of the venue.
BUY BUY BUY you won't be disapointed.[/quote]

Excellent! Thats a glowing report if I heard one.
Well, I didnt get to take it home laat night as there was no band practice, but I have tonight (plus 4 ohm Peavey 4x10), meaning I have the whole of tomorrow to get to use it.
I did see that manual has some suggestions for settings, so Ill refer to that for some help. As for the preamp valve, Ive got a DHA valve overdrive and I got Dave to fit the cryo EH vavle ( I understand the Pro 500 comes with a standard EH), and Ive tried the standard EH too, so Im not too fussed about that. WHile Ive got for the day it should give me some feel for the head anyhoo.
Thanks for your insight Hooky!
Andy

Edited by MoJ

Oh, I shouldve asked you Hooky too, being as you own a Pro 500, how do you find the 8/4/2 ohm rating thing? Do you find the head has enough power? After all, I do have to comete against two 100w Marshall half-stacks and the brutalist drummer I know!
Thanks
Andy

[quote name='MoJ' post='25366' date='Jun 30 2007, 07:02 PM']Oh, I shouldve asked you Hooky too, being as you own a Pro 500, how do you find the 8/4/2 ohm rating thing? Do you find the head has enough power? After all, I do have to comete against two 100w Marshall half-stacks and the brutalist drummer I know!
Thanks
Andy[/quote]

In all honesty Andy i've never found it to be a problem power wise. I use the trace 1153 cab quite abit and thats 8ohms, i think that pushes out 200 watts and i've never gone past 5 (half way) so if your using the peavy 4 ohm cab i think you'll be ok.

i'll be interested to hear how you got on with it...

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='25434' date='Jun 30 2007, 11:18 PM']In all honesty Andy i've never found it to be a problem power wise. I use the trace 1153 cab quite abit and thats 8ohms, i think that pushes out 200 watts and i've never gone past 5 (half way) so if your using the peavy 4 ohm cab i think you'll be ok.

i'll be interested to hear how you got on with it...[/quote]

Well, I tried it last night for a short while, after needing a winch to hoist it up my stairs (effectivley a first floor flat). I don't think Im going to go for certainly this particular cab as its a heavy mo'fo! Having said that, it does sound really warm and fat, but Im hoping thats the head more than the cab.
At band practice I have my own Trace 1048 (new 4 x 10) and someone elses old Trace 1 x 15 so Ill get to the 4 ohm no prob. As I say, Im hoping the Peavey cab hasnt imparted anything to what I heard last night. Besides, I was at a relatively low level as it was getting late so Im sure its bouund to sound different at proper playing levels, and Ive also heard/read that Peavey cabs aren't particularly efficient spl wise.
Like I said before, I have plans for Bill Fitzmaurice O10's which are 4 ohm and Im aiming to get two done. This would get me the light weight and the ohmage Id be after, and the sensitivity to boot which would mean this head could get ultra loud. :)

I had posted about going the bi-amp route but if the Pro 500 lives up to this sound at practice then I don't think Ill bother really. So far Im incredibly impressed. Later today I hope to be able to play with it more and at a better volume to judge!

Thanks again Hooky
Andy

PS, its interesting that at 200 watts you say you're never past 5. With my Trace head running at 500 watts Im rarley past 4 on a good day with a following wind. Im getting more and more tempted by the second!

Ok, Ive played with the Pro 500 some more this afternoon/evening, and Im pretty certain Ill be doing a part ex with my Trace Elliot AH500-7 tomorrow, providing I havent broken my back getting the cab back to work!
Im completely amazed at the power of this thing, and the versatility. When I say power, I dont mean the wattage (if only as Ive not been able to have it [i]that[/i] loud), but just what you can do with it, hence its flexibility. Maybe thats parametric EQ's for you, but it certainly does the job.
I did do a bit of hunting on t'interweb for some tips on using a para EQ, and Im still amazed at how easy it is to set up. Easily able to find the right low mids to emphasise, and the mid mids and high mids is really up to me I guess.
Even without using any of the EQ, the Pro 500 easily beats my TE to the ground [i]and[/i] some, but the voicings of the low and high controls seem perfect.
I could go into more detail but no-one really needs that. I just hope it performs as well at practice levels. We seem to have a habit of playing more at gigging levels really :)
Thanks for your help Hooky, most appreciated!
Andy

• 1 month later...

Did you buy this? I have a chance of getting one (Pro 500) for £399 - is that good value? I'm only going to be playing weddings etc but it seems like a great amp. I'd only want to use one cab with it (2x10) - any suggestions?

Many thanks, Martin.

[quote name='Kirky' post='50784' date='Aug 26 2007, 08:13 AM']Did you buy this? I have a chance of getting one (Pro 500) for £399 - is that good value? I'm only going to be playing weddings etc but it seems like a great amp. I'd only want to use one cab with it (2x10) - any suggestions?

Many thanks, Martin.[/quote]

Hi Kirby,
yes, I did buy mine in the end. Havent regretting a second of it.
Easily punchier than my last head for the sort of music I play and really versatile too. Managed to get the grindy tone I like really quickly and better too, reinforce the right low mids for me rather than have it dictated to me by the amp and it's all pretty flat too. A first for me!
Actually quite jealous of the price you're getting it for, cuz I work in a guitar shop and it still cost me more than that and I get a pretty decent discount! They were selling it retail for £699 I think, with a rack case included as where the head had been there a while it had a scratch on the top.
Anyhoo, for the price you're paying (even the one I paid!), you're getting a great deal for a great head!

Andy