Why become a member? ×

Bass Central

ern500evo

Was just wondering if anyone here has ever bought a bass and had it shipped over from Bass Central in Florida? I'm GAS'ing for something badly, and as they hardly ever come up used, I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Allowing for exchange rate, shipping and 25-30% of the total for customs/import taxes, the bass is still coming out at almost £400 less than buying it from Thomann. So, anyone dealt with these chaps before?
Lee

I have and they are great!

The main guy is Beaver Felton - he was an excellent player and responsible for an influential series of instructional series of videos call Superchops.

Unfortunately he was involved in a car accident and paralysed from the waist down many years ago.

They don't always update their website when gear is sold so be sure to check what's in stock.

Shipping will be between $125 and $250 and duties us Vat should be about 23% of the total including shipping.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1393838029' post='2384733']
I have and they are great!

The main guy is Beaver Felton - he was an excellent player and responsible for an influential series of instructional series of videos call Superchops.

Unfortunately he was involved in a car accident and paralysed from the waist down many years ago.

They don't always update their website when gear is sold so be sure to check what's in stock.

Shipping will be between $125 and $250 and duties us Vat should be about 23% of the total including shipping.
[/quote]
Superchops for bass!
Thanks Barrie, I've emailed them to check that the bass is still in stock and for an exact shipping quote. So I'll see what they come back with and have a think, I don't normally buy brand new basses if I can help it but as I'm getting zero joy in the used market this might be the only option. As I said I can get it from Thomann but it's almost £400 more.

We were looking at going in September but ended up deciding on NY at xmas instead, my wallet definitely won't stretch to two USA trips and a £1500 bass this year!! Planning on going next year but I definitely can't wait that long, the GAS is already nearing epidemic levels!

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1393839344' post='2384749']
They always reply promptly to emails and have good stocks.

I called in the last time I was in Florida and was surprised how small the shop was but the guys inside were super friendly and let me try anything.
[/quote]

It's amazing how much high end stock they sell. I believe they are the biggest retailer of both Fodera and Alembic instruments.

It was 6 or 7 years ago but I ordered my blue sparkle Modulus Flea from Beaver and the guys at Bass Central.

TBH, aside from my usual string order from the geezers at String Busters, it's been one of the best online deals I've done. Ordered it on the Monday evening after some emails between me and the shop and then a phone call and the UPS guy was delivering it on the Thursday. Considering the distances involved, it was mightily impressive, especially considering that my experience of most UK retailers at that time was that most of them struggled to get stuff to me within the week. Glad that times have changed.

Anyway, I digress. Beaver and his team are seriously knowledgeable, very customer focused and ultimately nice relaxed folks.

In terms of import taxes etc, UPS took the payment which, from what I can recall, may have been £150 to £200. Still a great deal on what would have been an impossibly expensive (and hard to get hold of) bass this side of the pond.

T

I went there a couple of years ago while I was on holiday. Just 2 busses from International Drive. The shop isn't as big as I expected from looking at the website but it seems like the shop next door is full of stock waiting to ship. They were fine with me trying out basses and, after finding out I was English, Beaver came over for a chat.

The phone didn’t stop ringing with enquiries and orders and when Fed Ex dropped off about 20 basses, the 3 of the guys set about testing, setting up and prepared for shipment to customers. It looked like a busy, professional and well run machine.

After a lifetime of experiencing British music shops, present company excepted, Bass Central was a breath of fresh air.

Edited by chris_b

I bought a Stingray 5 from them about 4 years ago. Musicman don't allow them to ship outside of the USA so had it shipped to my friend in California who I was visiting a few weeks later and took it home on the plane. They got it to him really quickly and saved on State tax. :)

The exchange rate for the dollar is pretty good at the moment too.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1393847683' post='2384891']
....Didn't realise it was close to I drive....
[/quote]

Not that close. It's about 20 miles if you drive, bus is probably further.

You get a bus into the central bus station and another out to Fern Park. Took over an hour if I remember correctly.

This is all sounding very positive (well maybe not for my wallet), looks like I better get some pics of the Streamer done, ready for it's impending departure. Must keep telling myself "if you buy the new one, the Streamer has to go"!

[quote name='sam-davies' timestamp='1393848361' post='2384902']
I bought a Stingray 5 from them about 4 years ago. Musicman don't allow them to ship outside of the USA so had it shipped to my friend in California who I was visiting a few weeks later and took it home on the plane. They got it to him really quickly and saved on State tax. :)

The exchange rate for the dollar is pretty good at the moment too.
[/quote]
Make that, this WAS looking very promising, it's a Musicman bass I'm looking at!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1393848814' post='2384913']
Make that, this WAS looking very promising, it's a Musicman bass I'm looking at!
[/quote]

Ahh, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Which one are you looking at? They may have changed their policy or make an exception.

[quote]Unfortunately, ErnieBall/Musicman has a strict sales policy that requires all US dealers to ONLY sell NEW items in US funds, shipped to US addresses ONLY. We CAN sell USED or DISCONTINUED EB/MM product outside of the USA.
[/quote]

This is what I was sent by one of the guys there, August 2009.

Edited by sam-davies

[quote name='sam-davies' timestamp='1393849026' post='2384917']

Ahh, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Which one are you looking at? They may have changed their policy or make an exception.
[/quote]
It's a Bongo Stealth. The only other place I can find the exact one I want is Thomann, and even allowing $300 for shipping and 25-30% of the total for taxes etc the BC price still works out well over £300 cheaper. Oh bugger!!

According to what an EBMM guy told me, the contract that the US dealers have with EBMM does have a paragraph about that dealers also are allowed to sell new items abroad after two years.
IOW if this bass is old enough, you could still purchase it. You'd probably have to remind them of that paragraph though.

Visited them last year while the rest of the family was frolicking at a water park - lovely guys, and tons of stuff you'd struggle to find anywhere else. I only bought strings, but I still saved a fortune...I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bass from them, but then I have a friend in the States I can ship to, and get it home from there...