Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1971 Precision

wateroftyne

Hey gang

Despite having my heart set on a nice old maple-necked P for a while now, this little rosewood sweetheart has ended up following me home....

She's been well played... obviously she's been refinned - whoever did it has done a pretty good job. The guard seems to be original, but has a couple of cracks in it. The pups have been replaced with Barts, and the jack sockets and pots are replacements. The original orange cap is in there. She's VERY light - my bathroom scales say 8lb 2oz, but she balances perfectly. There's no neck dive at all.

I really didn't want another rosewood P, but after taking her up to Howard the Bass Doc for a once-over and a tweak, I can't put her down. She plays like a dream.

I wasn't intending to, but I used her at a session yesterday - she's a bit more aggressive than my 'burst '71 who didn't get picked up all day :unsure:. It's a nice contrast to have.

My GAS for a maple P might turn out to be insatiable, but at the moment, I think she's staying....

I am a big fan of early 1970's P Basses . I've owned a fair few, and to my tastes , a good example can be just as good as a pre-CBS bass, and I personally prefer the neck profile on a lot of the late '60's/ early '70's Precisions. This looks like a bass you could get a lot of joy from.

That bass is crying out for a refinish. I would opt for Fiesta Red myself , but the the choice is , of course, yours. If that bass had still been in the original CAR then it would have been a rare beast indeed from this era. Not a common colour at all.

Looks like a "B" neck , my favourite , and I love that early '70's logo.

I would vote for a change of pickup to something more in keeping with the era the bass was made ( from a purely aesthetic point of view, I don't like pickups in closed shells without pole pieces on Fender style basses), and a Badass bridge or similar ( Fender HMV?).

Edited by Dingus

How about lobbing in this lovely cream 70's Dimarzio pickup along with the refin (Fiesta red, cream-coloured oly white?) for serious warm thump? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1970s-CREAM-DIMARZIO-PAF-PRECISION-BASS-PICKUPS-/231162396653

Yip... if she's a keeper - and early signs are she is - then I think a refin is in order. LPB is the front-runner at the moment.

Strangely, I should hate the pickup, but it sounded great yesterday. It still looks wierd without the poles, so a Fralin, Antiquity or something might get the nod soon. We'll see.

The neck profile is lovely - just a little bit shallower than my chunky '71. Same nut width - 41mm.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't refin or I won't want to buy it when you move it on. Ok, a nice tort guard on it and you a lovely Bohemian Rhapsody bass. Keep it as it is, it'll look better and be cheaper (and you can pass the saving on to me in the price).

You want maple, it's only a matter of time.

Lovely! :) Precisely the kind of thing I've been looking for :angry: :angry: :angry: :lol:

I'll chuck my twopence worth into the "don't refinish yet" side of the argument... cos I really like it.

Stripped-body Fenders can be rather cool when they've got a bit of age on them.

And there's something so nice about 'honest' non-originality, to my mind...

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1393837144' post='2384724']How much is a stripped early 70's P ?[/quote]

It varies...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1393830330' post='2384671']Is that alder ? Oh, and as everyone is throwing in their personal ideas for the finish, I say, leave it natural. Can't beat seeing the real wood IMO.[/quote]

It is, but it's a fairly interesting bit. As for the colour.. as it happens, my dad has a '72 Strat in exactly the same colour with a rosewood board and a white guard.

I'm still set on a refin if I'm keeping her, though...

Here's some more pics!

Lovely, nice old dark tort guard and a Lollar PUP (although a couple of trays would offset the need for a new PUP if the present one sounds to your liking) and you've got a winner there. Refin I'm not so sure about, but hey, it's your bass :rolleyes:

You must try a Yammie Precision one day as well mate

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1393873359' post='2385369']
Lovely, nice old dark tort guard and a Lollar PUP (although a couple of trays would offset the need for a new PUP if the present one sounds to your liking) and you've got a winner there. Refin I'm not so sure about, but hey, it's your bass :rolleyes:

You must try a Yammie Precision one day as well mate
[/quote]

I'll see how I feel about the pups after a few gigs. I like 'em so far.... I could just tippex four dots on each. :lol:

Colour-wise... this is winning:

:gas:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1393873527' post='2385373']

I'll see how I feel about the pups after a few gigs. I like 'em so far.... I could just tippex four dots on each. :lol:

Colour-wise... this is winning:

:gas:
[/quote]

This probably isn't going to help the GAS but Howard refinished my jazz bass (natural) in LPB with a matching headstock for a VERY good price and did an amazing job. Get it done!!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1393873729' post='2385376']
This probably isn't going to help the GAS but Howard refinished my jazz bass (natural) in LPB with a matching headstock for a VERY good price and did an amazing job. Get it done!!
[/quote]

Have you got any pics?