Why become a member? ×

zoom MS60B - how do you use yours?

lefrash

I have the MS60b going into an MS70cdr, which gives me an incredible range of effects in a very compact footprint. I am very impressed with the quality of these units.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1496921954' post='3314689']
If it stacks up OK the pedal might well be able to stand in for my board for some gigs, although I'll need to look into just how far you can cycle through the alphabet in A/B mode!
[/quote]

You can go right through the alphabet, so up to 26 patches in a cycle.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1496921954' post='3314689']
I need to spend some time on the octave- dashing through, it didn't seem to track too well, but I was far more concerned with just having a quick flip through then sorting the patches I needed.

If it stacks up OK the pedal might well be able to stand in for my board for some gigs, although I'll need to look into just how far you can cycle through the alphabet in A/B mode!
[/quote]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1496848158' post='3314284']
Very briefly own a B3 but never got very far with it.
[/quote]

I agree that the octave tracking on the MS-60B isn't great, which was part of the reason for my upgrading to the Zoom B3n (and as an aside - this has been definitely worthwhile for me in terms of the general capability and live use advantages of the B3n over the MS-60B, but I accept you are paying double the cost of the MS-60B). Interestingly on the B3n (and I'm guessing also on the B3) there are a couple of octave down options - the basic Octaver is similarly nothing to write home about, but the Pitch Shifter effect is very good. Tracks down to a bottom E pretty easily and without any noticeable latency (i.e. slight delay between the output and the dry bass signal), so I'm finding I'm actually preferring this octave down effect to that available on the dedicated Boss Harmonist pedal, which also sits on my board.

Edited by Al Krow

• 8 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2014 at 10:18, Kevin Dean said:

I use mine to D tune (pitch shift), also use the Bass man with 4X 12 cab sim to get a great Stranglers sound , & I did have a really good sound for Sledge Hammer (Peter Gabriel) but I've lost the flipin patch & can't seem to replicate it again again :(.

please tell me how to set up a Stranglers Patch

I think multifx (e.g. my Zoom B3n and Zoom MS-60B) is great for chorus, delay, tremolo and flange and of course being a tuner. I also find the B3n is really useful as a headphone amp with its aux in and headphone out. It's got these areas covered just fine.

But I think all but the best / significantly pricier multifx pedals (and Zoom are in the value for money end ) struggle to come close to the best analog pedals on some of the 'trickier stuff':

a) synth / filter,

b) octave tracking both mono octave down (low and without latency)

c) polyphonic octave up,

d) compression and

e) dirt.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 15:49, Al Krow said:

I think multifx (e.g. my Zoom B3n and Zoom MS-60B) is great for chorus, delay, tremolo and flange and of course being a tuner. I also find the B3n is really useful as a headphone amp with its aux in and headphone out. It's got these areas covered just fine.

But I think all but the best / significantly pricier multifx pedals (and Zoom are in the value for money end ) struggle to come close to the best analog pedals on some of the 'trickier stuff':

a) synth / filter,

b) octave tracking both mono octave down (low and without latency)

c) polyphonic octave up,

d) compression and

e) dirt.

I agree but the b3n for dirt and preamp 'warmth' is a step up from the ms60b from my experience. It's the first digi pedal I've been happy using distortion! 

The synths on the zoom range are limited but sound great and track very well! 

If you A/B'd the other things with dedicated analogue pedals, you'll be right. But personally, the difference is so small noone will really notice! 😅