Why become a member? ×

zoom MS60B - how do you use yours?

lefrash

Yes. its another ms60b thread. Hopefully this is lightly different to the normal ones we read.

Now that the ms60 has been out for a while and im assuming some of you are gigging it week in week out, my question is how are you using it? I want to know because I want to know if people are using it the way I would want to.... and if its up to the job. Basically I want it as a tuner/noise gate/compressor/preamp(with possible cab sim) at the end of my chain. I dont plan to use it for any effects as such (dist/od/synth/oct) so i plan to use it just to simply glue the sounds together. Anyone else use it like this? If so, can it do a decent job? or is there anything else that may do a simliar job?

I don't have ms60b but I did just buy a B3 whiz has basically the same algorithms and processor.

I think the ms60b would be absolutely perfect for what you want to do. The amp sins are really good, and the ms60b seems perfectly suited to using for "always on" sounds.

If you're looking for something similar but with slightly different features check out the b3.

i currently used a zzom b9.1ut but only use it for the sounds i mentioned above. Therefore making it a real waste of time carrying it about. I shoudl mention i would have to buy some sort of whammy pedal which is the reason for not just buying a ms60b a formality.

The MS-60B is the only pedal I use at the moment but I don't find the tuner on mine particularly accurate or sensitive, unfortunately, to the point that I am considering adding a tuner. Seems every time I hit the string it shows something different. Which kind of spoils the whole 1 pedal thing for me rather.

I use mine on my small board. The Zoom, then 2 OD's going through a twin looper with blends, on a Pedaltrain Nano. Most of the time it's just used as a boost so I can drive the pedals a bit more, so each pedal now has two flavours. But I also use it for flange, filter, octave & chorus here and there if I need them. But I have to plan ahead with those effects and select one before each song if I know I'm going to want to use it. I can live with the tuner too. It's a real space saver and does what I need it to.

• 1 month later...

Used mine to set up for different songs - rock covers so bit of phase in a patch for Lizzy stuff, bass synth with a bit of big muff for zz top, chorus for gnr, etc etc with bypass patches between. Not fussed about the tuner as i use a clip-0n.

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Regarding its use... do any of the compressors on the MS60b work like the famous Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter/Enhancer? That's a very good pedal and I could get a used one for a very good price, but if [b]any[/b] of the compressor simulators in the Zoom is just as good, I wouldn't have to buy it![/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] [/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I'm asking because time is running short and I can't tweak around my Zoom and try for myself... so if someone already knows some good settings, please let me know! ;)[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks!![/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] :)[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] [/font][/color]

I use mine to D tune (pitch shift), also use the Bass man with 4X 12 cab sim to get a great Stranglers sound , & I did have a really good sound for Sledge Hammer (Peter Gabriel) but I've lost the flipin patch & can't seem to replicate it again again :(.

I use two, one for each channel from my attitude bass. I had a number of always on pedals that I wanted to reduce, the zooms seemed perfect, and they are. However, I still seem to have a full pedal-board! 😕

One is set with a fat sansamp model, with compression and parametric eq for the low end from the attitude's 'woofer' pickup and is pretty much left alone.

The other it set with heavy compression, with another sansamp model, to reduce low end and inject a little grit, into a parametric to boost around 1k for strong mids. I have another couple of patches based on this with a chorus, distortion, phaser etc, and another couple of 'speciality' patches for certain songs.

Pretty pleased with my sound now. The two signals gel really well and it just verging on the edge of being dirty whilst still sounding clean. Somewhere between Billy Sheehan and Duff Mckagan.

My only gripes are that it's a PITA to switch between patch cycling mode and stomp box mode with out having to bend down and press buttons. Secondly, zoom are reluctant to release any updates to bring the unit into line with the B3 or even in line with the new cheaper (and seemingly superior, albeit plastic) B1on. These too models have effects that the MS-60b could really do with having. I may even flip one of June for the B1on, just for the extra effects, 5 at once and ease of patch changing.

[quote name='arcureo' timestamp='1398858468' post='2438302']
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Regarding its use... do any of the compressors on the MS60b work like the famous Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter/Enhancer? That's a very good pedal and I could get a used one for a very good price, but if [b]any[/b] of the compressor simulators in the Zoom is just as good, I wouldn't have to buy it![/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] [/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I'm asking because time is running short and I can't tweak around my Zoom and try for myself... so if someone already knows some good settings, please let me know! ;)[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks!![/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] :)[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] [/font][/color]
[/quote]

The compressors are great in the new Zoom range. Probably as good as, if not better than the Boss. Only complaint is a lack of signal metering, so you have to listen carefully to dial them in.

Hi,

After selling my B3 ( due to the fact that I only used Comp + Tuner + Chorus ! ) my friend loaned me his new MS60-B.
Been messing around with it, and for its size , I believe its worth getting. Only approx 1/3 the size of a B3. Fits into my Bass case !
Also downloading the Share + Edit software of the B3 , you can get all the presets on screen ( though you do have to read from screen, and enter manually into the MS60-B )
I have now got one on order , along with the Zoom MS50-G ( to be used with my solid body Mandolin - yep I know its a strange mix but my Function band do some REM etc)
Using a true bypass loop switch box, I cannot tell ( even at a volume ) the difference between "through" and true bypass, to my ears it does not alter the signal from my bass at all. Must give my friend his MS60-B back when mine arrives !

Awaiting delivery

Pete

Edited by petetexas

Guest FretNoMore

I use mine mainly as a "micro pedalboard" when practicing. It's a great little pedal but there is not room for it on my pedalboard and it has not been able to edge out any of my individual pedals. I do plan to use it as the only pedal when playing my EUB though, using some compression, reverb and the tuner, so I can leave the pedalboard at home.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399278851' post='2442607']
The compressors are great in the new Zoom range. Probably as good as, if not better than the Boss. Only complaint is a lack of signal metering, so you have to listen carefully to dial them in.
[/quote]

Yup! I noticed. I had to "fine-tune" its setting by ear, 'cause as you said there are no input meters, but still, quite effective! B)

• 8 months later...

Also i use my multi stomp at the back of my board (use to have it in the front but then needed the stereo jacks for my amp and back up di box) for gigging i use it for a compressor, tuner and different fuzz settings but if not gigging, just for fun fx like wahs and envelope filters. It works better at the back of signal chain i feel since the compressor helps equalize the individual pedals as well and that helps them "pop" a bit more.

Edited by amir93smith

• 2 years later...

[quote name='amir93smith' timestamp='1422804055' post='2676916']
Just wanted to ask if somwone could post the mark+ patch (first factory patch in the pedal) one of my friends was dicking around with the pedal and replaced the patch
[/quote]
All patches here:

[color=#006621][font=arial, sans-serif]https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/ms60b_patchlist-pdf.370284/[/font][/color]

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1492255720' post='3279019']
Mine is just going back into it's box as a b'day pressie for my nephew who is embarking on his bass journey. Shiny new B3n in its place :)
[/quote]

Oh how I would have loved this pedal when i started! I had a zoom 506 (still do actually) and it ney put me off effects completely! Haha!

• 1 month later...

Didn't want to start a fresh thread for this but can't seem to find a solid answer.

Basically I have space for one pedal on my board. And was thinking I can use this as a "toys and fun" pedal with all its patch capabilities. At the minute though I really want to try out an octave up and a delay, with the ability to have them either on or off or both on at the same time.

Now my question is, how easy is this on this pedal?

As I have it I could have a patch each for supposed use and then scroll through them?

I have no idea!! Very briefly own a B3 but never got very far with it.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1496848158' post='3314284']
Didn't want to start a fresh thread for this but can't seem to find a solid answer.

Basically I have space for one pedal on my board. And was thinking I can use this as a "toys and fun" pedal with all its patch capabilities. At the minute though I really want to try out an octave up and a delay, with the ability to have them either on or off or both on at the same time.

Now my question is, how easy is this on this pedal?

As I have it I could have a patch each for supposed use and then scroll through them?

I have no idea!! Very briefly own a B3 but never got very far with it.
[/quote]

Yep. It does both effects pretty well. You can easily have both on then off. But, without bending over and changing patch you won't be able to all three variations. What boss sized pedal would get close though? 😂

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1496882978' post='3314515']
You can set up an A/B/C and cycle through. In fact four steps could give, for example-

A: Empty patch
B: Oct
C: Delay
D: Oct+Delay

Each tap of the switch would cycle to the next patch.

As for what I'm using​ mine for, it was a single pedal solution to 'no effects' gigs where I still want a tuner, HPF, and comp. It also gives the flexibility of a spot of boost and reverb for solos at jazz gigs, but I'm sure I will branch out with it as I become more accustomed to it.
[/quote]

Ah i didn't realise you could have 4 patches like that.. I thought it was only a and b. That's the solution right there!

I'm still working out how best to use mine - I have a reasonably full board and generally the dedicated effects have a slight edge over the MS60B versions. However in a live situation I don't think anyone would notice, At the moment I'm using the bass synths and delays on it more than anything else..

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1496913685' post='3314627'] I'm still working out how best to use mine - I have a reasonably full board and generally the dedicated effects have a slight edge over the MS60B versions. However in a live situation I don't think anyone would notice, At the moment I'm using the bass synths and delays on it more than anything else.. [/quote]

One of the synths on it (cant remember what its called just now) is basic but actually really good for 80's/90's pop and it tracks really well.

I've never been keen on the dirt and fuzz on it, so if im ever back in a band where the dirt is important I'll get another stand alone. However everything else in it I personally think stands up pretty well to dedicated pedals. Even the octaver, which at first I didnt like, I've managed to get working brilliantly.