Why become a member? ×

iOS for the gigging Bassist

tayste_2000

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1398236430' post='2431835']
That and SOOOOOOO much more!
[/quote]

Sounds interesting! I may give it a shot...plus I guess it also applies to guitars as well as bass.

When DI'ing, are you guys just going into a DI box from the Sonic Port? Another option I suppose is to use it as 'options' for a live rig and use a small Class D amp and change whatever you like on the input or use it in the effects return.

I go from the Sonic Port into the FX return of my Streamliner if I want some backline (and DI out of the Streamliner to the PA as normal), if I don't, I can either go straight from the Sonic Port into a DI box or (with a long enough lead) straight into the desk. The Sonic Port's brilliant for home practice/jamming, too.

The only issue I have without the Streamliner/Compact backline is where to put the Sonic Port - the lead's waaayyyyy too short to put it on the floor if you have the iPad on a stand at elbow height, and I don't want to dangle it, so I have to contrive some odd perches for it. Someone suggested velcro on the back of the iPad holder, that might be the way to go....

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398251398' post='2432030']

Sounds interesting! I may give it a shot...plus I guess it also applies to guitars as well as bass.

When DI'ing, are you guys just going into a DI box from the Sonic Port? Another option I suppose is to use it as 'options' for a live rig and use a small Class D amp and change whatever you like on the input or use it in the effects return.
[/quote]

Yes from the Sonic Port to the DI ... The DI back into the return effects port ... With the DI also going into the Pa .... If you use the DI from from your head/ power amp into the PA ... You will only get a naked guitar sound front of house .... Kind of defeating the point really.

Got my sonic port yesterday and downloaded the software ( I believe )

Couple of questions from a complete effects novice if I may.

I originally downloaded the free Jamup app then upgraded to the pro one and also the bass packs. How can I double check that I got the extras I paid for ?

The only thing I ever really used before was a compressor. Is there one in my software perhaps called something else ?

Told you I was a novice !!

Many thanks

Tony

@ TonyBP

Only the effects and amps you have purchased will appear at the top of the screen.
If you tap one of the effects or amps you get a dialog box labelled 'choose' tap that and you can change effects or amps.

There are a couple of compressors in the software an LA2 emulation and a boss CS-2.

Good luck!

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1398341973' post='2433136']
So those are still to purchase then ??
[/quote]

if you tap the basket icon at the bottom left of the Jamup screen you can then choose from the three icons at the bottom of the screen.

Once you've tapped one of them (amp models, effect models, bundle) you'll see on the right which you have and have not installed in blue / grey.

Recently saving a lot on a new bass means I might try this for fun. It seems rude not to as I have the iphone already!

Quick quesiton, and this might not apply to this topic.

I have been advised I need a core midi attachment (hardware) to allow me to connect something new I have on the way to my phone.

Are there any options for this? Would this also allow me to connect my Korg Microsynth to my iPhone?

Are there any pieces of hardware that allow me to connect to my phone both for recording bass like the Line 6 Sonic port AND allowing midi input?

Cheers!

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1398769292' post='2437346']
Use a camera connection kit and any usb interface that is class compliant.

That way you can get midi and audio through the same device.
[/quote]

Sorry I might be being totally thick here (this is quite new to me) but do you mean an interface that has both midi in and line in, that connects to an iphone/ipad?

If so, are there any available?

I have an audio interface (Focusrite) for recording basically anything into my Mac Mini, but I wanted something portable for the Microsynth and new bass I have coming (I will explain later) that would also allow me to do the nomal running of a iOS rig/effects emulation all in one unit. It might not exist!

Class compliant usb means you plug it in and it doesn't need drivers to work, any class compliant audio interface will work with the ipad or iphone with a camera connection kit.

Check on the manufacturers website to see if yours is class compliant

Also don't buy that irig as you'll still be usinging a headphone out of the ipad when connecting it to anything.

There are so many class compliant usb interfaces around some start at £30 and go up.

Loads of choice

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1398788921' post='2437612']
Class compliant usb means you plug it in and it doesn't need drivers to work, any class compliant audio interface will work with the ipad or iphone with a camera connection kit.

Check on the manufacturers website to see if yours is class compliant

Also don't buy that irig as you'll still be usinging a headphone out of the ipad when connecting it to anything.

There are so many class compliant usb interfaces around some start at £30 and go up.

Loads of choice
[/quote]

Cheers!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398251398' post='2432030']

[/quote]

I'm going into an EHX magnum 44 in church

Chaps, before l head into guitar guitar and get a sonic port can anyone tell me if my recordin interface will do the same job?

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 . . . l have no idea if this is a class compliant usb interface or not.

If it is & l buy a apple usb camera kit would this let me charge my iPhone 5S or iPad while giging it?

Cheers!

I am slowly getting sucked in here. I have an iPad 2. Is this going to be cool? It will be nice to have something to use it with, because it has kind of fallen out of favour really. Obv I will have to clean all the STUPID games my children have on it. That will not hurt too much :)