Why become a member? ×

iOS for the gigging Bassist

tayste_2000

Spent the weekend trying to sort out my studio rig, live I've covered but my studio setup I like to run 3 channels.

Clean straight from the bass
An amped/slightly gritty sound
A full on distortion sound generally done from a tall font Russian muff into a tech 21 gt2 clone

So I've managed to do this with the sonic port, moving forward I'm still considering an interface with more outs but I can do this setup now using audiobus and auria the multi track recorder.

It's a great sound, jamup as my amp sound (or bias) and then ampkit for the super gritty tone and just drop a Di pre ipad for the clean sound, that said when recording using the ipad I can digitally split my signal as many times as I want and record clean, gritty, super distortion, synth and even pitch to midi on a soft synth on another channel. I only need the bigger interface if I wanted to output all of these.

More info in the blogs which I'll get done tomorrow night at latest.

So this solves anyone who requires a blended sound for their main tone, essentially digitally biamping or triamping, or hell octoamping (new word?)

Really enjoying the iPad/Jamup setup for playing live, the only big issue I have is a really niggling simple one, which is - has anyone found a convenient and reliable way of securing the Sonic Port if, like me, you have your iPad on a mic stand mount? The lead isn't long enough to reach the floor, and at the moment I'm using the amp & cab as an ad hoc Sonic Port stand, but that's hardly efficient... :)

Edited by Muzz

Sounds great ..
I use jamup pro for practicing with headphones using irig connector .
Live I use a markbass combo if I buy the line6 connector do I just go into the usual amp in or are most people using it as an amp simulator into a cab ?
Just wondering if it would be much benefit into a combo.
Cheers lads.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1399374709' post='2443508']
Really enjoying the iPad/Jamup setup for playing live, the only big issue I have is a really niggling simple one, which is - has anyone found a convenient and reliable way of securing the Sonic Port if, like me, you have your iPad on a mic stand mount? The lead isn't long enough to reach the floor, and at the moment I'm using the amp & cab as an ad hoc Sonic Port stand, but that's hardly efficient... :)
[/quote]
This might be a shout

Patuoxun® 8 Pin Male to Female Extension Extender Cable Adapter for iPhone 5 5S 5C, iPad 4 iPad mini, iPad Air and iPod touch7th Gen
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E96ER5U

Edit - just re-read the item it doesn't support audio or video

Edited by mr pablo

Having read this topic over the past few weeks, finally invested in a sonic port, and tried out Jamup at rehearsal for the 1st time last night, and have to say was very happy with the sound and relative ease of use, bearing in mind I'd had limited time to experiment with it beforehand. Have no doubt 'll be using this live at some point in the near future.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1399328618' post='2443252']
Spent the weekend trying to sort out my studio rig, live I've covered but my studio setup I like to run 3 channels.

Clean straight from the bass
An amped/slightly gritty sound
A full on distortion sound generally done from a tall font Russian muff into a tech 21 gt2 clone

So I've managed to do this with the sonic port, moving forward I'm still considering an interface with more outs but I can do this setup now using audiobus and auria the multi track recorder.

It's a great sound, jamup as my amp sound (or bias) and then ampkit for the super gritty tone and just drop a Di pre ipad for the clean sound, that said when recording using the ipad I can digitally split my signal as many times as I want and record clean, gritty, super distortion, synth and even pitch to midi on a soft synth on another channel. I only need the bigger interface if I wanted to output all of these.

More info in the blogs which I'll get done tomorrow night at latest.

So this solves anyone who requires a blended sound for their main tone, essentially digitally biamping or triamping, or hell octoamping (new word?)
[/quote]

Any chance of a blog that goes more in depth into how this is set up Ste? Cheers :)

Has anyone posted their own personal favourite settings on the Jamup site ?? If so if wonder if it is possible to set up something like a "user group" to share sounds ?? Whilst it's fun to play around with the sounds it would also be good to have a group of fellow basschatters suggesting their recommendations.

Part 6 - [url="http://www.tayste.co.uk/2014/05/13/the-ios-bassist-pt6-time-for-the-studio/"]http://www.tayste.co.uk/2014/05/13/the-ios-bassist-pt6-time-for-the-studio/[/url]

This is probably the most important read of the series as the ideas I've gained from it are mind blowing

Excellent. I'll be gigging my iPad/SonicPort/Jamup/IEMs on Saturday night, and I'm leaving the amp and cab in the van. Still looking for an elegant solution as to what to do with the SonicPort, though - the Hercules iPad holder for the mic stand is great, but there's nowhere to wedge the SonicPort, and I'm very conscious of damaging the SonicPort>iPad lead connectors - they're not exactly military grade...

After reading pt6 would something like this be the ticket when using the sonic port to record the two channel set up into a PC?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hosa-quarter-inch-trs-to-dual-quarter-inch-stp-201-1m/17043?gclid=CLKpwpKMq74CFZShtAodeGMA_g

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1399988136' post='2449618']
Part 6 - [url="http://www.tayste.co.uk/2014/05/13/the-ios-bassist-pt6-time-for-the-studio/"]http://www.tayste.co...for-the-studio/[/url]

This is probably the most important read of the series as the ideas I've gained from it are mind blowing
[/quote]

Many thanks for sharing your blog, been fascinating reading and really made me rethink my own setup.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400062254' post='2450278']
It's great to see you so pleased coming from such classic tube amp tones.
[/quote]

That's one of the reasons I chose to do the blog, not invalidating anyones views but I hope it has a bit more credibility because I'm not using the flavour of the month micro or hybrid head.

I was doing some googling to see if there was a solution to the issue of charging the ipad whilst using it, and I found a pass through adapter that has a micro usb port to allow charging, it appears to be primarily designed to solve the issues that aftermarket iphone/ipad cases can cause with accessories and docking stations, but maybe worthy of further research.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CableJive-dockStubz-Converter-Through-Adapter/dp/B003TJR2HS

Just to be clear, I am not recommending this and haven't bought or tested it, just thought it might be relevant to the thread.