Why become a member? ×

Finally, my first gig this Saturday!

Damonjames

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1393501679' post='2381027']
The drummer will dissapear just before you go on. This is anavoidable. Don't panic, just go find him.
[/quote]

Cracked me up and is so damn true. At my first ever gig my nerves werent helped when our drummer pulled a vanishing act as we were due on.
Found him down the road claiming he'd spotted someone who'd hassled him the previous day and gone to beat him up :gas: .

OP you seem pretty well prepared, once you're through the first couple of songs the nerves will subside and you'll start having fun. Bet you'll have a great time!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1393511367' post='2381233']
Said it many times. Put on the actors clothes and assume the role of the most confident , able player that walks the earth. Before you know it... you won't need to act any more.

No skulking at the back with your head down. Proceed to the front of the stage and make 'em have it.

You will be a different person the next morning , having walked the walk , and you'll never go back. I hope it brings you the joy it's always brought me.
[/quote]

definately this^

Just finished unpacking the car, and sitting down to a celebratory beer.... What a night!!!
For me, I have learnt a lesson or two, mostly
I allowed the nerves to get the better of me in the lead up, but fortunately all but disappeared as we walked on stage!
There were two songs I was worried about in particular, spoonman and Cochise, but fortunately the drummer got a little giddy and played spoonman a bit too quick so helped to cover any little cock ups. Cochise didn't go too badly in the end, a bit of fuzz helps to cover up some stuff too. I ended dropping a couple of bits here and there, but certainly no train wreck moments where the whole song fell apart. Most importantly the punters seemed to really enjoy it along with love buzz's set so happy punters= happy publican.
From a personal view (and I am alway really tough on myself, I can't help it) I need to work my ass off to tighten up the stuff I messed up, but I had a blast and think I will enjoy it more once I get the nerves out of the way. I found enough time to look around at the other band mates (especially the drummer, even though the guitarists
Insisted I go on the right hand side of the stage,
Away from where I have been rehearsing for the last six months but in the end it didn't matter) and also found time to look up and smile check out the crowd.
I have the fortune of having mentor who is a professional musician and punk rocker from the 80's, and in talking to him he said "you were right on the nose, right up until you decided to play wrong bit"... To get a positive comment on timing from a punk in my book is a pretty big endorsement, just need to not play the wrong bit next time!
Thanks again for all the support, it's been great! As soon as I can get some pics I'll drop them in the thread so you can see. Overall it was bloody brilliant and can't wait to do it again.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1393706284' post='2383643']

definately this^
[/quote]

Agreed, I used this to help with the nerves.

I am sure you will be as amazed as I was, but the drummer was the first one in place tonight!' To be fair, he is exceptionally "normal" for a drummer!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1393723548' post='2383818']...the drummer was the first one in place tonight!' To be fair, he is exceptionally "normal" for a drummer![/quote]

Why am I not shocked by this..? :happy:

Well done, lad; on to the next one. Yes, we'd love to see photos (or vids, of course...). B)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1393494748' post='2380880']

Ooh yes, this is a good tip.
I find that it's not so much the key to the song I need, just the note that my part starts on. Once I've played that first note I'm away.
So I try to associate the first note with something about the song and keep that in my head.

It was quite easy with these:
'Bohemian Like You' - starts on B for Bohemian
'Gigantic' - starts on G for 'Gigantic'

Had more difficulty with Car by Gary Numan - starts on D, so I had to think of D for Daimler.
Likewise Hey Joe - couldn't think of a way to remember that it starts on C. Until our guitarist suggested 'Hey Joe - you chump!'
I never forget that now :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Love it! I'm gonna use this method.

thank you please

RK

I was gonna come as I only live in atherton plus I'm nearly 35 so was a teenager in the 90's would have loved the tunes. However, both my kids decided to vomit all day so had to stay and look after them. Congratulations pal, glad you had a good un. if you gig local again I'll try and make it!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1393750180' post='2383879']
I was gonna come as I only live in atherton plus I'm nearly 35 so was a teenager in the 90's would have loved the tunes. However, both my kids decided to vomit all day so had to stay and look after them. Congratulations pal, glad you had a good un. if you gig local again I'll try and make it!
[/quote]

Cheers mate, we are playing wittles in Oldham on the 5th of April doing a cobian anniversary gig if you are keen!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1393494748' post='2380880']
Ooh yes, this is a good tip.
I find that it's not so much the key to the song I need, just the note that my part starts on. Once I've played that first note I'm away.
So I try to associate the first note with something about the song and keep that in my head.

It was quite easy with these:
'Bohemian Like You' - starts on B for Bohemian
'Gigantic' - starts on G for 'Gigantic'

Had more difficulty with Car by Gary Numan - starts on D, so I had to think of D for Daimler.
Likewise Hey Joe - couldn't think of a way to remember that it starts on C. Until our guitarist suggested 'Hey Joe - you chump!'
I never forget that now :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Good system :) - Hey Joe starts with an A riff though... A,D,B - A,D,B - A,B ( sorry for the pedantry )

Edited by OldG

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1393723408' post='2383817']
Just finished unpacking the car, and sitting down to a celebratory beer.... What a night!!!
For me, I have learnt a lesson or two, mostly
I allowed the nerves to get the better of me in the lead up, but fortunately all but disappeared as we walked on stage!
There were two songs I was worried about in particular, spoonman and Cochise, but fortunately the drummer got a little giddy and played spoonman a bit too quick so helped to cover any little cock ups. Cochise didn't go too badly in the end, a bit of fuzz helps to cover up some stuff too. I ended dropping a couple of bits here and there, but certainly no train wreck moments where the whole song fell apart. Most importantly the punters seemed to really enjoy it along with love buzz's set so happy punters= happy publican.
From a personal view (and I am alway really tough on myself, I can't help it) I need to work my ass off to tighten up the stuff I messed up, but I had a blast and think I will enjoy it more once I get the nerves out of the way. I found enough time to look around at the other band mates (especially the drummer, even though the guitarists
Insisted I go on the right hand side of the stage,
Away from where I have been rehearsing for the last six months but in the end it didn't matter) and also found time to look up and smile check out the crowd.
I have the fortune of having mentor who is a professional musician and punk rocker from the 80's, and in talking to him he said "you were right on the nose, right up until you decided to play wrong bit"... To get a positive comment on timing from a punk in my book is a pretty big endorsement, just need to not play the wrong bit next time!
Thanks again for all the support, it's been great! As soon as I can get some pics I'll drop them in the thread so you can see. Overall it was bloody brilliant and can't wait to do it again.
[/quote]

Brilliant, man! Don't worry about mistakes too much, everyone makes mistakes on stage. Delighted you enjoyed it so much!

Love this thread, brings back so many memories! Glad it went well :)
In four weeks, I play my first gig for about 10 years so I'm kinda treating it like my first, certainly the first with the current line up. Against popular opinion, I will probably need some Dutch courage.

well done mate :) heres to many more

Threads like this are great, we never stop learning, I myself have only very recently ( i.e. last gig I played) learned to write my set list in a large enough font to be able to actually see it whilst on stage. Marker pens on multiple sheets of paper are the way forward :)

All the best, I hope we share a stage one day :)

Edited by sprocketflup