Why become a member? ×

Finally, my first gig this Saturday!

Damonjames

If there's one bit of advice I wish someone had given me before my first gig, that would have made all my early gigs a much more enjoyable experience, it would be to remember that you're playing for punters, not musos. Sure there may be one bloke at the back pointing out to his bored girlfriend that there was half a dead note, or that the original part was fingered differently, but he's a dick, and no-one likes him or listens to him anyway. You're playing for the people who want to have a great time, and you should do the same. By now, after all your rehearsing you have a plan... just stick to it and have a ball!

Best of luck! :)

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1393499355' post='2380986']
If there's one bit of advice I wish someone had given me before my first gig, that would have made all my early gigs a much more enjoyable experience, it would be to remember that you're playing for punters, not musos. Sure there may be one bloke at the back pointing out to his bored girlfriend that there was half a dead note, or that the original part was fingered differently, but he's a dick, and no-one likes him or listens to him anyway. You're playing for the people who want to have a great time, and you should do the same. By now, after all your rehearsing you have a plan... just stick to it and have a ball!

Best of luck! :)
[/quote]

I like this! :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1393494748' post='2380880']
Ooh yes, this is a good tip.
I find that it's not so much the key to the song I need, just the note that my part starts on. Once I've played that first note I'm away.
[/quote]
This, exactly. I always used to write the first note I played against each song on the set list, rather than the key. It saved my bacon on a number of occasions, I can tell you. Caters for that occasional brain freeze where you suddenly realise 2 seconds before the start of the song that you cant remember what you come in on! :lol:
Above all, ENJOY IT. Don't drink beforehand, have a good time during, and don't overanalyse afterwards.
And we expect a full report! :lol:

Edited by UglyDog

Have a wee before you go on.
If you are taking a drink on stage get it 5-10 mins before you go on.
The drummer will dissapear just before you go on. This is anavoidable. Don't panic, just go find him.
Tune up before you go on stage. Tune up again once you get on stage.If you go out of tune just play a bit quieter and bend the notes to something that doesn't clash.
Compliment the band coming off regardless of how good they may have been.
If you forget the notes just play a bit quieter and bend the notes to something that doesn't clash.
Know where your spares are, as bass player you will be expected to have spares for everyone.
Face and pretend to chat to the drummer. Rock gods do this!!!
Good luck and have fun!!!

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1393501679' post='2381027']
Face and pretend to chat to the drummer. Rock gods do this!!!

[/quote]

Hee hee, I like this one!

And another one...

The actor's mantra (attributed to John Geilgud but may be apocryphal) is:
'Make sure your flies are done up and don't bump into the scenery'.

I guess for musicians that translates as 'Make sure your flies are done up and don't trip over any leads and fall into your cab'! :lol:

The drummer will dissapear just before you go on. This is anavoidable. Don't panic, just go find him.
[/quote]

Yes this. What is it about drummers? and why do I always have to go find the drummer, or shout out that we are down a drummer through the mike!

[/quote]

Happened to me last week. :(

Also, Good luck at your first gig man, it's cool that you're doing a Seattle tribute, We play aneurysm in our set :D

Edited by Samashton12

take a small towel onstage with you
warm up (silently!) ten minutes before start time with some runs, scales or the trickiest bits of your set, then tune up
deffo have a pee before starting
make sure you can see your setlist (it's dark up there!)
be careful where you put any (preferably non alcoholic) drinks, they will fall over one day onto your pedalboard.
Dont be nervous (its a team effort and not you on your own)
Just concentrate on being as tight as you can with the drummer, find and lock into the groove, leave any fancy stuff to the guitarist and singer.
Don't make it too obvious when you start ogling the girls (or boys) - then you will make mistakes!
Enjoy, you're being paid to make people happy, how great a job is that?!!

[i]especially[/i] the pre-set slash and above all the towel -- if you do not have one with you, I guarantee that sweat will run into your eyes at some point and it will all go horribly wrong. A real frood always knows where his towel is :D Edited by UglyDog

Said it many times. Put on the actors clothes and assume the role of the most confident , able player that walks the earth. Before you know it... you won't need to act any more.

No skulking at the back with your head down. Proceed to the front of the stage and make 'em have it.

You will be a different person the next morning , having walked the walk , and you'll never go back. I hope it brings you the joy it's always brought me.

Lots of +1 and
Smile (lots) show that you're having a great time - even if inside you aren't.
If you play a bum note (and we all do) then poker face time - don't give the game away to the punters.
If possible mute the rig during tuning - just hate that tuning up cacophony.
Make sure that you have a set list and can see it - especially if it dark.
Try to drink a little water often - I use a bicycle drinks bottle - great for taking sips - and won't spill much if it is knocked over.
Personally, I cannot eat much before - maybe it is standing with lump of wood around my shoulders - but afterwards….

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1393511367' post='2381233']
Said it many times. Put on the actors clothes and assume the role of the most confident , able player that walks the earth. Before you know it... you won't need to act any more.

No skulking at the back with your head down. Proceed to the front of the stage and make 'em have it.

You will be a different person the next morning , having walked the walk , and you'll never go back. I hope it brings you the joy it's always brought me.
[/quote]

Nice post Dr :)
Remember to enjoy it and especially the relief that comes once the first one is out of the way.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1393460441' post='2380721']
Hey guys n gals, just got back from our last rehearsal before our (and mine) first gig on Saturday!
I am absolutely buzzing, at the age of 35, and after 2 years of starting over again with playing, I am finally goin to play my first proper gig.
Any advice before I go out? I think I'm all set, a couple of songs that are not quite where I would like them to be, but pretty much all good.
[/quote]
Congratulations on the gig. Just relax and enjoy the experiece...

Dr Daves tip is one that every performer should adhere to, If you act like a rock god, you will BE a rock god, just be mindful that when you strike a pose with your guitarist that you still play the right notes (or at least something vaguely in keeping with the song). happened to me not too long ago when we did the back to back thing during the guitar solo on are you gonna go my way, and I totally forgot what the hell I should be playing.

Try to keep calm and remember to do all the things you need to do during setup, especially tuning. Often there's so much to think about that tuning gets forgotten by at least one member of the band. Above all enjoy every moment, because it goes like a flash and the 1st gig is something you will enjoy remembering for a long long time. Good luck on Saturday :)