Why become a member? ×

Finally, my first gig this Saturday!

Damonjames

Hey guys n gals, just got back from our last rehearsal before our (and mine) first gig on Saturday!
I am absolutely buzzing, at the age of 35, and after 2 years of starting over again with playing, I am finally goin to play my first proper gig.
Any advice before I go out? I think I'm all set, a couple of songs that are not quite where I would like them to be, but pretty much all good.

If anyone is interested, we are smells like Seattle and playing Moses Gate in Bolton, doing a Seattle grunge tribute along with Love Buzz Nirvana tribute. Should be a huge night!!!

Here are my top tips:

Don't drink until after you've played
Expect the first few songs to be played faster through nerves
If you have an active bass take an extra battery!
Have spare leads, at some point you will need them (usually for guitarists :P )

And most importantly...... HAVE FUN and report back afterwards!!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1393489296' post='2380791']
Here are my top tips:

Don't drink until after you've played
Expect the first few songs to be played faster through nerves
If you have an active bass take an extra battery!
Have spare leads, at some point you will need them (usually for guitarists :P )

And most importantly...... HAVE FUN and report back afterwards!!
[/quote]

+1

Above all, keep it simple.

In [i][b]every [/b][/i]respect.

Take the bare minimum kit that you will need (plus spares to be left in the boot of the car as appropriate).

Use exactly the rig that you rehearse with, play exactly the way you play at rehearsals, etc. etc.

Just don't introduce any new complications or distractions and you'll be fine.

i have just turned 50 and are trying to form a band, still have ambitions lol, so post what it was like at the gig and any tips as well. hard trying to think of a name for the band, if u have a cool/great name i think you can get away with being less than great? looking at characters fro Roald dahl books but the names have all being taken, plus biblical quotes , but the best ones taken again...digressing a bit but good luck

Don't try and cram arrangements etc into your head before the gig. You know the songs well enough by now, you'll be fine. Try and stay calm before you go on. And enjoy the pants off the whole experience :D

And try to smile, look like you're having a good time!

Edited by ratman

Have a good one, it will absolutely fly by. Just lock in with your drummer and try not to overplay, it's a common reaction to a few nerves. One thing that did strike me though - your band are doing a 'Seattle' set and the support is doing all Nirvana songs isn't there a likely clash in set lists? Or do you guys just avoid the obvious Nirvana songs that will be in the tribute's set?

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1393494248' post='2380867']
Write the keys to the songs on the setlist. Mind can go blank and this can be a handy little nudge. Oh.........and welcome aboard!
[/quote]

Ooh yes, this is a good tip.
I find that it's not so much the key to the song I need, just the note that my part starts on. Once I've played that first note I'm away.
So I try to associate the first note with something about the song and keep that in my head.

It was quite easy with these:
'Bohemian Like You' - starts on B for Bohemian
'Gigantic' - starts on G for 'Gigantic'

Had more difficulty with Car by Gary Numan - starts on D, so I had to think of D for Daimler.
Likewise Hey Joe - couldn't think of a way to remember that it starts on C. Until our guitarist suggested 'Hey Joe - you chump!'
I never forget that now :lol: :lol:

Edited by seashell

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1393493217' post='2380855']
Have a good one, it will absolutely fly by. Just lock in with your drummer and try not to overplay, it's a common reaction to a few nerves. One thing that did strike me though - your band are doing a 'Seattle' set and the support is doing all Nirvana songs isn't there a likely clash in set lists? Or do you guys just avoid the obvious Nirvana songs that will be in the tribute's set?
[/quote]

Technically it is us that are the support! But we have not included any nirvana songs in out set, we should only be on an hour so we have enough material to fill it.

And +1 to the flannel shirt!!!

Remember stage fright is not guaranteed. I remember my first gig in about 1976 and everyone was telling me about stage fright and how i will freeze up on stage and forget stuff. It was at a small festival and i got on stage and felt cheated because I didn't get any stage fright at all. I loved every minute of it.
I hope you have a great buzz from your first stage experience. It's kept me going for decades.
Nowadays I do always feel some level of anxiousness just before we start playing and if I know the band I'm playing with are under rehearsed , my focus can drift because of uncertainty about all of us hitting changes.

Let us know what the experience was like for you.
Jazzyvee

You are allowed to look up from the fretboard during the gig.....after all you have practiced long and hard enough to know what you are doing ;)

Good luck and enjoy it......recording it can be fun as well, we recorded our first gig...came off stage and talked about how great we were, listened to the recoding the following day and realised we could only get better!