Why become a member? ×

Cheap: NBD - Farida love :)

Raslee

Farida P, eBay £95. Natural Ash & Rosewood neck.

I knew it was going to be probably good from the general Farida love on here...but crikey this Precision bass is truly amazing. I wanted something cheap to do party gigs etc but got a bass that plays like a £500+ bass, really low action (lower than my 74 Jazz) and spot on intonation too.

The neck is smooth, and more jazz width like, which is a real bonus for me. The sound is phat and defined, articulate, good tone control through out...a real soul/funk monster indeed. The build quality is up there with previous Laklands that i have owned, maybe i just got lucky...but bloomin heck i wasn't expecting it to be this good, this is up there with MIA Fenders too i kid you not -may have to try some flats on it......right its back to some P playing.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1394006562' post='2386721']
Definitely a darkish tort plate needed.
[/quote]
...and finally done by the genius Bass Doc :) pick up changed for SD trad SB1, sounding smooth and plays fantastic with the jazz width neck. Highly recommend these P Farida's (on the right of course) :)

Edited by Raslee

Been interested in Farida since I did some repair work and a pickup swap on one of their 70's style jazz basses a few years ago - REALLY good bass for the money, which was peanuts at the time if I recall...

[quote name='Hugh971' timestamp='1399238140' post='2442392']
My main bass at the moment is a one of a kind Farida 5 string jazz. Excellent bass, solidly built, plays and sounds lovely.
[/quote]
Wow that sounds interesting, didn't know they did a 5..was it custom built? Better still any pics? :)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1399312653' post='2443042']
Wow that sounds interesting, didn't know they did a 5..was it custom built? Better still any pics? :)
[/quote]

I think it was a prototype that wasn't developed further, I bought it from Dawsons who told me it was the only one in the UK. As far as I can tell it's the only one in existence.

It has DiMarzio pickups, I've managed to get the neck straight and the action low with no fret buzz (though I do play with a light touch). When I bought it I wasn't after a 5 string but I went for it as it felt perfect to play.

The pics don't really do it justice. The grain on the neck is really nice.

Edited by Hugh971