Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Twin 2 just arrived!

Handwired

[size=4][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font][/size]
[size=4][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2]Well, after a couple of months wait it finally arrived via Fedex. No messing about and straight into the rehearsal room. First impressions, looks very slick and well finished apart from the handles that look like they were an after thought, modern looking cab with retro handles? also the horn attenuator control knob stands proud from the recess plate which kind of ridicules the point.[/size][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2]Right, minor niggles out of the way, where’s the Streamliner. I’m not going to go into great detail in describing the sound as everything I’ve read about how this cab sounds seems to be true up to now. After 45 mins of abusive finger style with my 80’s G&L SB1 just find myself wondering if thing is just too good? Apart from the general high quality of bass tones punching out at me it seems to lay bare all the worst aspects of my playing, passing notes and rakes I’d previously enjoyed slipping in here and there now demanded to be heard as proper notes in there own right and ended up being unmusical. A quick change of cabs and my MB 410 now sounds like it’s packed with finest quality Angora knitwear, yuk, how about the SVT 8x10, yes better, and my dodgy technique is now adequately masked, but it sounds no where near as refined, but I now no that I can sound better with the Big twin 2 and that I need to tighten up my playing so all to the good. [/size][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2]Right in goes the SVT CL, yep, an improvement overall, but it doesn’t like it much when I dig in excessively as the 12” drivers distort in a very unmusical way, clanky is how I describe it but to be fair I wouldn’t normally play as hard, but saying that the 8x10 distorts in a much smoother fashion.[/size][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2]Rehearsal: [/size][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2]The best overall sound I’ve had in that room, very good quality mids with enough low end to remind me why I’m a Bass player, very tight and controlled in that department as well. My band mates echoed my conclusions.[/size][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2]I think Alex needs a new slogan for Barefaced: [/size][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][b][color=#222222][font=Arial][size="3"]If you don’t want to hear the truth stay away from Barefaced[/size][/font][/color][/b][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2]A couple of Gigs over the next weekend, so I’ll report back next week.[/size][/font][/color][/size]

Must try a barefaced myself one of these days.
Like you though, I also gig an 80's SB1 and have to be really aware of good technique, not that that is a bad thing of course.
I was aware at one point during a gig at the weekend just gone, that I had lapsed a bit with my palm muting and there was an awful lot of ringing going on from adjacent strings. Seem to get this more with the G&L than any of my other instruments but it's still my fave gigging bass.

Anyway hope you are happy with your purchase. :)

Very glad you like it, though I would have been surprised if you hadn't! Great review.

Apologies for the slight digression here, but I have a couple of questions: How does the Streamliner hold up against the SVT CL? I've heard the STM is warm, round and valvey but will it do 'that' valve thing like the SVT does? You know, the 'big bounce'? And if not, would the STM make a decent back-up amp? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

Thanks, and congrats on your new purchase. It will certainly loosen up a bit as chris_b says. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393409112' post='2379791']
Very glad you like it, though I would have been surprised if you hadn't! Great review.

Apologies for the slight digression here, but I have a couple of questions: How does the Streamliner hold up against the SVT CL? I've heard the STM is warm, round and valvey but will it do 'that' valve thing like the SVT does? You know, the 'big bounce'? And if not, would the STM make a decent back-up amp? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

Thanks, and congrats on your new purchase. It will certainly loosen up a bit as chris_b says. :)
[/quote]

I've A/B'd the Streamliner with my valve amp. The Streamliner is a very good amp, and has some cracking tones which are have a nice bit of grind and warmth. I also really like the EQ section.
However, it does not quite recreate the bounce/sag of a valve power section. It's close enough for the band, it's close enough for the audience, but is it close enough for a bass player who is used to an all-valve sound? Possibly not*

The combination of size, weight and tone, however, would make it a great backup amp.

* Saying that, Bertbass seems happy having replaced his Mywatt for the STM

I sometimes use the Streamliner through the SVT 8x10 and it's easy to forget I'm not using the CL but when I concentrate on the sound of the bass rather than the sound of the Band I do notice a small lack of quality in the tone. As a modern 'light weight' head the Streamliner seams to dedicate it's flavours towards warm vintage (can get aggressive) and betters it's rivals in this department.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393418723' post='2379937']
It's close enough for the band, it's close enough for the audience, but is it close enough for a bass player who is used to an all-valve sound? Possibly not* The combination of size, weight and tone, however, would make it a great backup amp.
* Saying that, Bertbass seems happy having replaced his Mywatt for the STM
[/quote]
[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1393419244' post='2379949']
I sometimes use the Streamliner through the SVT 8x10 and it's easy to forget I'm not using the CL but when I concentrate on the sound of the bass rather than the sound of the Band I do notice a small lack of quality in the tone. As a modern 'light weight' head the Streamliner seems to dedicate its flavours towards warm vintage (can get aggressive) and betters its rivals in this department.
[/quote]

Thanks for this, guys. Warm vintage (possibly aggressive) is what I like. I'm totally happy with my current set-up (after a long search), but on the other hand is the STM close enough to 'that' tone for me to leave 35kg (77lb) of valve ampage at home? Is the 'small lack of quality in the tone' acceptable? And would the 600 do me as opposed to the 900, which by all accounts is bloody loud?

I think perhaps it's time for me to invite myself round to bert's for a comparison. :D

Edit: Apologies for the slight derailment, by the way. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393422012' post='2380006']

Thanks for this, guys. Warm vintage (possibly aggressive) is what I like. I'm totally happy with my current set-up (after a long search), but on the other hand is the STM close enough to 'that' tone for me to leave 35kg (77lb) of valve ampage at home? Is the 'small lack of quality in the tone' acceptable? And would the 600 do me as opposed to the 900, which by all accounts is bloody loud?

I think perhaps it's time for me to invite myself round to bert's for a comparison. :D

Edit: Apologies for the slight derailment, by the way. :)
[/quote]

I predict the following programme:

10 loving valve bounce
20 after a while start getting fed up with lugging
30 switch to Streamliner
40 after a while start to crave valve bounce
50 switch to valve
60 GOTO 10

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393422431' post='2380022']
I predict the following programme:

10 loving valve bounce
20 after a while start getting fed up with lugging
30 switch to Streamliner
40 after a while start to crave valve bounce
50 switch to valve
60 GOTO 10
[/quote]

LOL! :lol:[size=4] Your tiny app speaks the truth. If I can find a way to have both, then that'll be me sorted. For a bit, anyway.[/size]

I just posted the following in another thread but it seems appropriate to post it again here, so here it is.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][color=#282828]The truly amazing thing to me is that with the Streamliner and 69er, I get the same sound at whatever volume I play at, from silly quiet to, well, heaven. I've never had that before with any other gear. It's always had to be in the sweet spot, ie, loud, to get 'that' sound. The other thing I've noticed, or should I say enjoyed, is that I can hear every note on the fretboard, never had that before either.[/color]

[color=#282828]Streamliner and 69er, to me, the perfect combination. [/color][/i][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]I would assume that the 69er is not unique in this respect and that the same could be said for all Barefaced cabs.[/color][/font]

Edited by bertbass

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing with my SuperTwin for a few months now, paired with a Markbass mini mark 800w.

Every time I switch on is a joy! I've also got so much head room left, I'm quite sure I could do Wembley Stadium and still be heard :lol:

What has been said about the "honesty" of hearing your playing is so true. My attention to detail has improved greatly since I've had it, as it's had to!!!

To those who are awaiting their cabs, you are in for a treat!!

I'm getting the Super Twin to pair with my SS head, but if it sounds great with my valve head too, it could be time to sell the '69er!

Looking at the OP, however, I'm intreagued by the speaker distortion comments. I'd be amazed if my little valve amp could distort those super drivers, but we'll find out soon enough.

Have just used my Barefaced Big Twin 2 for the first time at a gig, with my Aguilar DB751. Large hall, very large high lively wooden stage. The cab has had about 6 hours run in at rehearsal studio volume.
My first impression is that the cab is very responsive to any changes to the tone controls of either amp or bass, tonal changes which were previously masked or limited by my previous cabs. This was great fun for me, but generated a few complaints from the rest of the band that the bass was dominating the sound. One said that he thought a large ship was signalling its docking at one point.
So, huge sound from one smallish cab, with great resolution, but need to watch the new bass extension. I think I'll try the cab on a small riser next time we play a large lively stage.

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' timestamp='1394962479' post='2397036']
Have just used my Barefaced Big Twin 2 for the first time at a gig, with my Aguilar DB751. Large hall, very large high lively wooden stage. The cab has had about 6 hours run in at rehearsal studio volume.
My first impression is that the cab is very responsive to any changes to the tone controls of either amp or bass, tonal changes which were previously masked or limited by my previous cabs. This was great fun for me, but generated a few complaints from the rest of the band that the bass was dominating the sound. One said that he thought a large ship was signalling its docking at one point.
So, huge sound from one smallish cab, with great resolution, but need to watch the new bass extension. I think I'll try the cab on a small riser next time we play a large lively stage.
[/quote]

Try one of these http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp