Why become a member? ×

Markbass 801, anyone have experience with this or similar mini combos?

Kev

As my status update indicates, I am looking for a small practice amp for use at home or relatively quiet jams only. The market seems to be completely inundated with micro combos these days, however the Markbass 801 has caught my eye and Thomann sells for about £350, which seems to be cheaper than anywhere else,

It's tiny, but how does it sound? 45w doesn't sound much, but anything that sounds better than running through my Hitachi HiFi will be an improvement!

I am also looking at things like the Roland Bass Cube and Ampeg offerings, but they all seem to be trying to be big amps with big sound and falling short, whereas the Markbass seems to be happy being what it is! I find PJB a little too clean (currently selling one of their larger combos) so not really interested in them.

Any other suggestions please feel free to help me! Budget is the £300-£400 mark.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1393373895' post='2379615']
Any other suggestions please feel free to help me! Budget is the £300-£400 mark.
[/quote]

You'll get a 2nd hand GK MB150 for that ... and you can't have forgotten how great they are.

100W @ 8ohms, tiny, light, solid, practical, sounds fantastic ... I can't think of anything better in that category, and for that money.

I bought one a few weeks ago and have been very impressed by it so far. It's not really much louder than I expected it to be given that it's Markbass, but I certainly didn't expect it to sound as big and 'full' as it does. I paid the premium in the hope that it would sound like a Markbass rather than a cheap prac amp, and I've not been disappointed. I say go for it!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1393445001' post='2380469']
You can't gig a 1 x 8 45 watt combo. That just won't work.

There's a GK 200 watt 112 combo in the Sale section right now which might.
[/quote]

No intention to gig at all. This is purely for home practice, and 'full whack' is for when the neighbours are out :)

[quote name='Marco Markbass' timestamp='1393446530' post='2380497']
If you caan try to put the Micromark 801 on another cabinet like 2x10 and you will check, naturally this for small gig for home it dounds in perfect way and also to study thanks his aux in.
Naturally my topic is because i made it.
[/quote]

Hi Marco, nice to see you on the forum!

Are there any plans to upgrade/update the 801 any time soon, as I notice few UK stores stock them?

The 801 is a very special products, in my mind he is a perfect product for the peoples like to have a nice sound also when he study or play in a small gig. Many small products are in the market but i made it because i liked to have a "professional sound" in a very small size.
Ther is a tweeter that yiu can buy if you like to have more "high". When you play it the sound is natural and warm and you like to study at home or when you travel, That was my idea

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1393443181' post='2380442']
The 'full' sound was certainly something I was looking for, and I assume from the cone's 200w handling the sound is still crystal clear at full whack?
[/quote]

I've only gone up to about 3/4 on the master but that was certainly loud and still clear. Given the way it responds to different basses I own, I get the feeling there might be some mileage in using a clean boost before the input to get maximum volume from passive or lower output basses, but I'm yet to try that out.

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1393453358' post='2380622']
.......or the CMD JB Players School combo ?
[/quote]
That seems like a bit of a budget MB amp, using a lesser quality speaker cone and weaker power amp than the Mini CMD's; If I was going down that route I would probably buy a CMD121P as I prefer 12's to 15's

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1393457121' post='2380682']
I've only gone up to about 3/4 on the master but that was certainly loud and still clear. Given the way it responds to different basses I own, I get the feeling there might be some mileage in using a clean boost before the input to get maximum volume from passive or lower output basses, but I'm yet to try that out.
[/quote]

Cool :) Volume doesn't really concern me really, I just want a speaker than sounds as full and rich as possible at low volumes..and one that doesn't fart out should I choose to turn it up :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1393457800' post='2380691']
I just want a speaker than sounds as full and rich as possible at low volumes..and one that doesn't fart out should I choose to turn it up :)
[/quote]

I honestly think the 801 would be worth a road-test, then. Of the small amps I've either owned or borrowed, the list including both of the little Roland Cubes (4 small speakers and 1 larger one), Line 6 Studio 110, Fender Rumble 15, Marshall B25 and even a TC BG250-208, it's the best quality sound I've had; it's like 'me playing quietly through my bigger rig' rather than 'me making do with a prac amp because I'm at home'.

I made time this evening to try the boost pedal idea I was musing on previously, and am happy to report that it worked nicely... but not as nicely as an old Boss GEB-7 graphic EQ pedal that I tried out of interest but then spent the next two hours playing through. Don't get me wrong, the 801 is great on its own, but the EQ pedal gives back the missing tone controls as well as the ability to push the input a little harder. Even with extra input level and a gentle bass boost, low B is still loud, clear and fart-free. I'd like to try the Markbass MB7 Booster, but until I can, the Boss looks like it'll be staying hooked up.

Thanks for your comments Ed, really appreciated. I had an LMII a few years ago and found myself leaving the EQ flat and just using the VPF and VLE. I know the 801 does not have the VLE, but I can't imagine the lack of tone control with bother me too much. I have a B7K that can be used as a 4 band preamp if needs be :)

I am now finding myself looking at the cmd 121p, not exactly massive in comparison and plenty of power should I ever need it. Decisions!

Edited by Kev

No probs Kev :-) The CMD121p was *that* close to being part of my little collection, but because I have LMII and LM800 heads already, I went for the NY121 cab. But now, given that I have the 'right' extension cab, I keep thinking that I might yet pick up the combo, drop the new LM3 combo-head out, chuck my trusty LMII in there and see how much cash I can get back for a brand new combo-head. But do I really need it, given that on its own the NY121 knocks down walls, and I already have the 801 for home *and* 802 for acoustic gigs... As you so rightly say, decisions!

Now that's interesting, you own an 801 and an 802? Any particular reason for owning both?

I'v decided to go for.....the CMD121p! Ordered and should be with me next week! Reason being the cost; cheapest I was getting the Micromark for in the UK was £450; for £250 more I have been able to by a much more flexible amp and not sacrificed much at all in conveniance of size/weight, and this way I have the power and volume if I need it. The 802 just seemed far too expensive for what you got, so that never made the cut. I shall report back :)

Edited by Kev

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - the reports from other owners are great and my own experience of basically the same thing but in two boxes is similarly very good. Just to complete the thread for the benefit of anybody reading at a later date, I got the 802 because I wanted something for small acoustic gigs that was just plug and play, and I got it at a price it would have been rude to refuse! I agree completely that if I were paying full price and only wanted one combo to cover everything, it'd be the 121p every time.

• 2 weeks later...

With the noisy 121p returned and still uncertainty on whether or not it was faulty, I have opted to stay away from MB tweeters and have ordered a Micromark, realistically all I need for home and studio :)