Why become a member? ×

I just don't get it.......but I'm willing to learn

Roland Rock

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1393433686' post='2380296']
It's called No Off Switch and it's a very good read.
The acts you mention are best understood in the context of their place in time - they were so different to everything else, like a breath of fresh air and a beacon of light.
[/quote]

Cheers. Not in the Kindle store, so had to go old school! I'm glad I did as I ordered the hardback for £2.80 posted!

I was there in 78 for the Ramones Live and did get them (stood in front of a massive PA stack) and yes I still listen to them occasionally.
Their live gigs were brutally loud.

No comment on Springsteen, never got that 'type' of music.

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1393429448' post='2380207']
I just finished Andy Kershaw's autobiography, which I highly recommend.
His favourite 3 acts were Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and The Ramones and he explains how they affected him hugely when he first heard them.
They each touched his soul in different ways, along with lots of other people including me.

You had to be there at the time to get it - who feels it knows it :)
[/quote]
I think the point here is "touched his soul".
I don't think many of us hear a song and think "bloody hell,what a marvelous use of a major 7th chord that was".
We all IMO feel or don't feel the emotional current in a song.
For what it's worth,I have never really liked the Beatles,the Stones,Floyd et al.
I've gone from Rock in my teens,through classic 60's soul,added a touch of New Wave and ended up with Alt Country.
But in all these genres,it's been the SONG that has moved me,not the style.

I went on a Rock Walking Tour in New York. The guide was a fanatical Ramones fan and was quite upset that I didn't get them at all. To me they sound like The Searchers. Fortunately there's a lot more on the tour that I was interested in. If anyone's visiting NYC I recommend it. [url="http://www.zerve.com/rockjunket/evillage"]Link[/url]

Louis Armstrong is often quoted as saying "There are only two types of music, good music and bad music"

This is of course, absolute piffle. If you think a song is bad but someone else thinks it's good, what does that make it? Good, bad, something in-between?

What he should have said was "There are only two types of music, music you like and music you don't like"

Which seems to be born out with the majority of answers here, which is refreshing.

If you don't like a certain song or genre of music it's your lose, not theirs. Bands and artists make music in the hope that other people like it as much as they do........ With the exception of the 1st e.p. by the band Discharge, they defo made that specifically to be disliked.

"There is only music, the rest is just noise"

....... and Discharges' first e.p.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1393455864' post='2380663']
The guide was a fanatical Ramones fan and was quite upset that I didn't get them at all. To me they sound like The Searchers.
[/quote]

I suspect you may have been exposed to more than your fair share of 'Joey Songs' - that is to say the poppy, jangly stuff he'd get on to the albums in the face of stiff opposition from Johnny. Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofoX2YsSJi0

Edited by skankdelvar