Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day - Tokai TB48

Mr Anthony

Hello there!

Wandered into the local Cash Converters on Friday, and saw this stood up on the display. Picked it up, had a play, looked it over and thought it was as if it's brand new. The paint was fine, in Vintage White which is less yellow in person, a couple of marks on the scratchplate that you can barely notice, the electrics are absolutely fine and it could do with a new set of strings. I left it there, and for the whole weekend it was bugging me. I was recording in the studio on Saturday, and I wanted it with me. So, on Sunday afternoon I went out and bought it. £159.99, I payed. Which, considering there a couple floating around on eBay at the moment for £200+, I'm quite pleased. Picked it up today, and I can barely put it down. Partly because I really had my heart set on one some 5 years ago, partly because OH MY GOD NEW BASS YAY, and partly because the neck is very wide and I need to get used to it.

It sounds pretty good too, but until I can get to a practice or back in the studio or a gig, I won't really know for sure.

Have some pictures! :)

Cheers!

- Anthony.

Much neck dive. Almost an uncomfortable amount, which I shall fix by moving the strap button.

Always fancied a thunderbird, thought that for the price, now would be my time to give it a go. Tried an epiphone a few years ago, and it was nice but I didn't want and couldn't afford to buy it. Haha.

I'll have to try and get some sound clips up or something for you guys :)

Was this in Lincoln by any chance? If so the manager had slashed the guitar prices the day before. I managed to bag myself an Ibanez SR705 that they already priced wrong for £115!

It was marked at £175 but didn't produce any sound plugged in so was sold to me as faulty without a warranty. I got it home and found that it was just the battery clip was a bit dodgy, so got myself a massive bargain!

[quote name='jon_kemo' timestamp='1393281045' post='2378336']
Was this in Lincoln by any chance? If so the manager had slashed the guitar prices the day before. I managed to bag myself an Ibanez SR705 that they already priced wrong for £115!

It was marked at £175 but didn't produce any sound plugged in so was sold to me as faulty without a warranty. I got it home and found that it was just the battery clip was a bit dodgy, so got myself a massive bargain!
[/quote]

Jammy git!! :-D

[quote name='Mr Anthony' timestamp='1393408594' post='2379777']
I haven't had a new bass day in three years, it's great! Haha.

I'm adjusting to the weight and the thickness, and it's not as bad as I thought. Just need to find a bag or case big enough now because none of the ones I own are big enough. Oops.
[/quote]

That's another thing. They're really awkward to carry. :(

The sound of mine & a VT Bass makes up for everything though :D

I'm yet to really have a proper go with it, but I need to get my amp set up and find a time when I can really have a play. I'll hopefully get some new strings sorted soon, give the fretboard a proper scrub and away we go. Should feel great! It feels solid as a rock though, had to adjust the bridge as it had become raised from the body, so it's screwed back down now but apart from that it's just about spot on.

Edited by Mr Anthony

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1393758616' post='2383984']
Very nice! Steal for the price too. I never found an Epi Thunderbird that I got on with, but I've always heard great things about the Tokai equivalents.
[/quote]

Perhaps, but looking at the photos of the Tokai the only thing it shares in common with the Epiphone version is a similar body shape. Hardly makes them comparable.

I suppose that's a fair point.

I'm pretty much settled with the weight and feel now. New strings are still needed, and I fetched myself a set of strap locks when I visited home last week. Only problem is the screws are too small for the current holes and the current screws are too large for the strap locks. So, I'm probably going to have to plug and drill new ones out which is absolutely fine.