Why become a member? ×

Looking for a bit of advice regarding a student

ChaosAD

I am not really much of a bass teacher. Well, I'm not a bass teacher. I can play well enough and I've taught a few people, but I have recently taken on another student who can only play with one hand.
She was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago which left her with serious damage to her right arm which has caused paralysis of her right arm so she is learning one handed bass.
The problem is I am not sure how to teach her. Most of the music I play is either slap bass or melodic multi-string picking.

Does anybody have any advice at all on how to go about teaching her? So far I have got her practicing basic patterns to get her finger strength up for hammer on's. I am also planning to have her practicing pull off's with different finger combinations but, aside from that, I am not sure where to go.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Im not sure what to suggest playing wise... but I suggest it may be worth getting the bass to a good luthier to get the bass fretdressed, nut cut precisely and get the action as low as possible to get the speed of the neck up for hammer ons. A fret wrap may help with ringing strings.

[quote name='ChaosAD' timestamp='1393116684' post='2376462']
flyfisher - Thanks doc ;)
[/quote]

Not a doc, but do have some personal experience of such injuries (not myself, thankfully). Seriously, if you ever find yourself in the midst of a bike accident, don't hold on to the handlebars as that's how your arm may be wrenched so hard that the nerves in the brachial plexus can be damaged - easier said than done when reflexes kick in of course. Extreme neck movement can do the same thing, hence the susceptibility for bikers.

[quote name='ChaosAD' timestamp='1393115454' post='2376451']
So far I have got her practicing basic patterns to get her finger strength up for hammer on's. I am also planning to have her practicing pull off's with different finger combinations but, aside from that, I am not sure where to go.
[/quote]

Sounds like you're doing all the right things to me.

Don't know if you're seen a bassist called Bill Clements playing, but he does with one hand what many bass players would struggle to do with two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ThulqDmKc

Well what does she personally want to get out of the lessons? Is she ever looking to be in a band? If so then obviously timing in some respects is essential. What sort of music is she in to? Find things she's after or wants, once you've got that I guess you can hone in on what is needed to make that happen?

I always work that way with my students, figure out the path you need to take to give them what they want?

From what you've described you're doing things spot on so far! What about looking at songs she wants to learn, try finding a way to get the technique in to practice where she'll be able to hear it and spot it?

Hope any of that can be of help!