Why become a member? ×

Gumtree d*ckheads!!

highwayone

Arranged to go and buy an Epiphone EB3 bass on gumtree last night and was just about to go and pick it up. Thought I'd text before I set off as it was a 40 mile round trip only for the tw*t to ring me back and say ' was it the guitar or bass? Oh sorry just sold the bass an hour ago'!!!! Could he not have contacted me to ask if I'm still coming or let me know he's sold it as we'd agreed I was coming this afternoon? I know it was his to sell but bad form in my opinion! Hope his other guitar drops on his foot! Aaaaah! That's better,rant over :)

If you still have the address why not arrange for him to be visited by some Fitted Kitchen/ Bedroom/ Double Glazing salesmen. Didn't he also say he was interested in joining the Army/ Navy/ Air force/ Marines?? - he's probably too busy to get the booklets himself so why not organise some literature for him?? He might be getting peckish about now - be considerate and order him a Pizza....

I had a similar situation recently - saw a bass on gumtree, arranged a price and a time to meet and try it only to see the same bass on eBay (with bids) with the listing ending the day before I was due to go round.

Sent the guy a message asking the obvious question of "Que?" and didn't get a response until after the eBay auction ended when he kindly told me he had told the winning eBayer (who bid more than I offered) that he was then selling to me instead.

Didn't feel right so I pulled out and wished him all the best.

The only problem purchase (touch wood) I've had over the years is a Gumtree one.

Brought a pedal off some f*ckwad who invented excuse after excuse over three or four weeks after I paid him. Eventually called Gumtree who marked his account as fraudulent thus calling in the law and lo-and-behold, the pedal magically arrived in due course.

Sometimes pays to call them up. Ultimately, they want to keep the brand "clean" so will be just as keen to get rid of any shannagans.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1393105131' post='2376338']
If you still have the address why not arrange for him to be visited by some Fitted Kitchen/ Bedroom/ Double Glazing salesmen. Didn't he also say he was interested in joining the Army/ Navy/ Air force/ Marines?? - he's probably too busy to get the booklets himself so why not organise some literature for him?? He might be getting peckish about now - be considerate and order him a Pizza....
[/quote]

Hehehe

i knew an idiot who sold a moto crosser and did not tell the bloke who was coming to buy if on a 300 mile round trip, that was in the days of no mobiles but this day and age no excuses, some idiots think its there right to piss people off cos they are the sellers

It's not all bad, I just bought a gator pedal tote for £35 off gumtree, and it was in better condition the the photos made out. The seller was a bit hard to pin down, but it didn't bother me too much as was in no great rush.
The world is full of the type of people mentioned above, just have to keep your eyes on!

I once attempted to buy a MIDI guitar thing (non-traditional). The guy twice said to me that I'd be able to visit after 8pm after the kids were in bed. Both times, he wouldn't respond at 8pm, wouldn't answer his phone. Then, when at 9pm or so I gave up and went home (he was closer to my work), he'd contact me about 9:30pm or so and say 'you can come over now'. I suppose I could have planned for that the third time and worked around it, but I just couldn't be bothered any more, so gave up.

Once I enquired about a bass case on gumtree that was for sale, for £25. The person selling it said that I wouldn't be able to come around right now, as he was busy. Lo and behold, the same case turned up on Ebay. I was a bit miffed, but I bid £20 on it. Right to the end of the auction I was winning, and then I was outbid. After the auction, the gumtree seller got back to me and said that I could come around and buy it now, which I found suspicious since it had just 'sold' on ebay. I sent him a link to the ebay auction and said 'sorry, but in the meantime I bought this one.' I wonder what he made of that.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I've sold quite a few things on gumtree and I definitely prefer to deal face to face so its normally my preferred solution. However, you do have to be prepared to deal with all manner of flakes and timewasters. The people that really annoy me are the ones who completely ignore what your ad says. I sold a guitar once for about £200, and my ad stated "absolutely no trades, I need to raise some cash". Some muppet contacted me to offer me "how's about a trade for my strat, your guitar plus £100 my way". Was hard to be polite in my response to that...

The other people that annoy me are the ones who contact you to offer you a trade and then change their minds! I was selling a delay pedal and a guy sent me a message saying "how's about a trade for my compressor?". I sent him a reply saying "Yeah, sure" and his response was "sorry, changed my mind..." Don't offer a trade if you're not sure!!!!

I think a lot of people out there contact you to say "I definitely want it" just so that it buys them time to think about whether they do or not. They think that if you're arranging something with them then you won't sell it to someone else in the meantime. It then gives them the time to faff around and think about whether they definitely want it, and of course most of the time its just GAS talk and they're not interested at all.

Still, you can't beat meeting in person and handing over cold hard cash for an item that you can inspect yourself!