Why become a member? ×

Truss rod - Allen key help!

theyellowcar

Hello,

So I've just gone to adjust the truss rod on my Fender P, but I don't have an Allen key that fits (bought it 2nd hand and didn't get the original)

I went to use the key that came with my Squier P (fits nice and snug in the Squier) but it was completely loose in my Fender.

Am I being ignorant to think that the Squier key should fit? Is something horribly wrong with my Fender? Can anyone point me in the direction of an Allen key that will fit?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by theyellowcar

No you are not being ignorant, there are several different fittings in use. As a [u]rough[/u] guide, US Fenders tend to have imperial fittings, Far East are metric, no idea about Mexicans. Get a decent set of both metric and imperial Allen keys and work out which is the perfect fit.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1393082581' post='2376007']
I picked up an official 3/16" Fender T bar tool from the states for something like $10 posted, bit of case candy :lol:
[/quote]

Nice! I popped to the DIY shop down the road and grabbed a set of imperial and metric keys in the end - it cost about a tenner. Slight overkill given I only needed the one key, but I'm sure I'll find a use for them. No flat pack furniture will be safe :D

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1393086668' post='2376080']
I popped to the DIY shop down the road and grabbed a set of imperial and metric keys in the end - it cost about a tenner. Slight overkill given I only needed the one key, but I'm sure I'll find a use for them.
[/quote]

You are now free to buy more basses in the future now; - confident in the knowledge that you already have the correct hex key to adjust the truss rod! :)