Why become a member? ×

Small cabs

Bigwan

I love my Tech 4x12, but it's total overkill for most of the venues I'm ever likely to play so I'm considering purchasing 2 more small cabs to build a modular rig. I'm primarily looking at 2 1x12 cabs. I was considering the aguilar gs112 and gs112nt, but having read the reviews the general opinion seems to be they're excellent but shy in the mids. This'd be the last thing I'd want in a gigging rig as I'd be concerned they wouldn't cut through the mix.

Can anyone give me info on they're small gigging rigs and what I should be stearing away from? I'm particularly interested in any views on Epifani (UL or PS so weigh in here walbassist/Gareth if you're listening!) cabs or the other Aguilar cabs (the DB range I think they are? They're supposed to be very mid present).

Whatever I end up with I'll be running them with an Aguilar AG500.

Hit me!

Edited by Bigwan

Im using a GK 1001RB II with 2x Aguilar GS112's one being the NT, and although they have been described as 'mid shy' or 'scooped', thats what the eq's for!! :)

With my current bass, a Warwick Streamer Pro M on passive and the amp on flat I have the best sound I've had so far. I certainly dont have any trouble cutting through in a band situation. Tons of volume and bucket full of bottom end.

I honestly couldnt be happier with my rig, it does all I could ask of it playing gigs in the pubs and clubs.

Mike

Edited by mikeh

There are lots of choices, other 1x12 Neo cabs include EBS, Genz-Benz and Mark Bass. Best thing is to find somewhere you can try them all but that means a trip to the Gallery and thats a long way from Ballymena. I'd be temped to go with the Agi to exploit the synergy between amp and cabs.

Hey bigwan, I'm using a Schroeder 1212L. Does it all for me.

Also owned Markbass 2x10s and 1 x15 in the past but for compactness, volume and sound I find the Schroeder is a good compromise.

I'm in Belfast. If you want to hear the cab, let me know. Had a gig last week but it being summer, I think our next gig is in August but you're welcome to try it at my house.

Frank

Schroeder 1210 does it for me with one of my bands.
That cab and a good amp (MB LMII) can knock walls down.
The tone isnt to every ones liking but it does sit well in a mix out front and gets very loud.
Works fine with my 5 string 55-01

Edited by dave_bass5

• 2 weeks later...

Having read a bit about the new Aguilar DB range of cabs I think maybe a pair of the new DB112's would suit me down to the ground. Anybody here tried them yet? The gallery seems to be the only place that has them listed in the UK...

I'm even more set on this small rig idea after this past weekend. Had a practice with a new band and on returning my Tech cab to my car I pulled something in my neck. The weight of the cab is fine, it's just an awkward one man lift and I twisted the wrong way!

Edited by Bigwan

Man, this is fuelling my GAS. I have a GS112 which I use with an ABM410t and an ABM500 with my rock/blues covers band. I've seriously been considering getting a GS112NT and leaving the 4x10 at home but I'm concerned about the drop in cone surface area meaning I'll have to push the amp too hard. Might bite the bullet anyway though