Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Perfect 10 or Orange Crush 35B?

David Nimrod

Hi guys, I need to get a reasonable practice amp, not for gigging, just home use.

I've narrowed it down to these two, any opinions on their relative qualities?

I'd like the low B to come through well, no farting about please ;-)

I've an Ashdown rig for gigging, so it'd just need to reach home jamming levels.

Of course I can't find a local shop with either of them in stock...

Apologies if this has been covered before ;-)

My opinion is you won't get the B string sounding great on any 'small' practise amp. I've had the Ashdown Five Fifteen (bigger brother to the Perfect 10) and that was fine (but was 65w).

I suppose i'd choose the Ashdown out of those 2 - but I am biased.

I cant coment on the Ashdown but id say avoid the 35B

i got one early last year and it was horrid,poorly built,almost no variance on its bass/treble control and it had a very strange attack swell when i played anything in the lower end

about 5 days after i got it a roland cube 30 came up on the (old bassworld) board's and i grabbed that and the 35b went the way of evilbay
cube 30 is a really great little practice amp with a lot of sounds in it thx to the built in fx and amp sim's
the low b on my 6 SC is pretty clear on it and id recommend it to anyone

it might be worth asking in the wanted section if anyone has one they'ed like to sell on

laters
gizmo

[quote name='Darcy' post='24628' date='Jun 28 2007, 09:55 PM']Had an Ashdown Perfect 10.....OK really low down but anything over 5-6 on the master and past 2-3 o'clock on the bass it farted badly even with a passive JB, cant comment on the Orange[/quote]

Are there any *small* combos that really do everything well?

Or is that just too much to expect?

I know absolutely nothing about electronics/acoustics...

But if a stack works beautifully with 4 x 10" speakers,

Why can't a small 1 x 10" combo sound just as good?

Or am I revealing my stunning ignorance ;-)

You might want to take a look at the Ashdown perfect 10 mini rig - Sound control are doing a very good deal - I bought one from one of their evilbay listings for even less!
[url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.2.3.1-1-75"]http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/...=1.1.2.3.1-1-75[/url]

I played a Peavey Max 158 yesterday. Only with a passive 4 string, but it had a hell of a lot more volume and tone than the other practice amps I tried. Well worth a go. I'll be getting one as soon as I've got the cash!

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Peavey_MAX_158_Bass_Combo_Amp"]http://www.gear4music.com/Peavey_MAX_158_Bass_Combo_Amp[/url]

I have a crate BT15 - Mine was £35 off ebay, but they aren't too pricey new. Its not the most exciting amp to look at, but its great for low volume practice.

The phono in is very useful for hooking up an MP3 or CD.

If it can handle the low B of my NS CR5M, so it can probably handle anything. It has an effective eq and doesn't go all fuzzy like some practice amps.

MB1. :)

Ashdown perfect ten mini rig 2 seperate 10 inch speakers one 65watt head,ive got one had no problems with it . currently on sale at sound control for £99.Its got a input for cd player too,i dont play 5 string so i cant tell you how it reacts.The mini rigs are made under licence in china ,but that has not been any cause for grief so far.Your best bets try before you buy! well worth a trip to sound control. Ive been using Ashdown since they first set up business and have never had any trouble with them.

[quote name='Waldo' post='24749' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:21 AM']Well my experience of the Ashdown practice amps is that they're unreliable - Having had two break on me in the same day![/quote]

I've heard other people question their reliability. However I know several people who heavily gig their MAG's and have no issues what so ever, my EB also hasn't given my any issues.

[quote name='Machines' post='26639' date='Jul 3 2007, 07:04 PM']I've heard other people question their reliability. However I know several people who heavily gig their MAG's and have no issues what so ever, my EB also hasn't given my any issues.[/quote]

my mag is fine, is run quite high and has no complaints, i'm happy

It seems to be a bit of a lottery really. As I said, I've had two of their practice combos die on me in the same day. Also, the ability to switch between master volumes on my fallen angel combo went kaput within the first month of owning it.

• 4 months later...