Why become a member? ×

Alpher Instruments

BassicLee

6 hours ago, Kev said:

There is a very long story attached but basically the (honestly a bit rubbish) darker blue was a refinish.  

Am I right in assuming that the Alpher boys weren't involved in the refinishing then?

23 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Did you have the pick ups changed to DCB’s?

I’m so glad that bass has been restored, it’s a beauty.

Yes! Chris’s idea, really suits the low tuning I have on this bass (Drop B).

21 minutes ago, eude said:

Am I right in assuming that the Alpher boys weren't involved in the refinishing then?

The original refinish? Yeah, I don’t know exactly why it ended up being stained the darker blue but it was Chris that did it, it was just a messy situation. I’ve bought a load of drama with this bass too 😂

😂 Ah well, fortunately it’s an amazing bass that looks crazy cool and sounds like the lovechild of a Thumb NT5 and a Dingwall NG2 - it’s worth it.  I’ll check back in here if the bass “changes colour” over the next few months! 😉

8 minutes ago, Kev said:

😂 Ah well, fortunately it’s an amazing bass that looks crazy cool and sounds like the lovechild of a Thumb NT5 and a Dingwall NG2 - it’s worth it.  I’ll check back in here if the bass “changes colour” over the next few months! 😉

Lol aye just make sure you leave it out in the sun and next to windows as I hear that’s the best way to make sure the colour doesn’t fade...

• Haha 1

Looks stunning that Kev! I was lucky enough to see this one the first time they created it, and also post refinish / pre rebuild as mine's recently been in for a service (it may look really pretty, but I work it damn hard!). Photos really do not do this bass justice, as I think any crazyburl bass. I've had someone tell me mine looks like it's faded in the past... it definitely hasn't faded, and like I said, it's worked hard since she landed with me in March so I see a lot of it!

So, some thoughts on the Alpher now it's settled in? Well, the bass still leaves me speechless. Even as my daily driver, I've had moments of "Oh I should maybe take the Jazz to this gig because I don't want to risk marking it" and such... But I just can't bring myself to not take it out. The only time I left it at home was when I was playing at Glasto this year - given that I was staying the entire weekend, I didn't fancy leaving it unattended in a camper van for a good while, and the Jazz came back covered in suncream, so no damage done there!

I need to give a shout out to the guys who make it, Chris and Al. They REALLY know their stuff and the attention to detail is on another level. You could talk for hours with them about finishes, construction, electronics and come away with something new, and all this is applied to the basses too. The customer service is just as high as well. I had an issue with two of my Aguilar pickup covers splitting. Mentioned it in passing to Chris, and before I knew it, he'd got two new ones ordered and got the bass in ASAP. I asked him to put some new strings (which I provided) on it, and came away with no charge for the setup. Can't fault that!

Build process, whilst being built I was kept very well informed with progress, and lots of pics too. It's always great to see it being crafted and pieced together, as you can really see what goes into it.

So, yes, they're expensive... but as a working pro who's had all sorts, is it worth it? Absolutely! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CobiaMatt said:

Unreal. Love this bass! Did I read your in drop B! What strings you using on this? Is it 34" scale?

Im tempted to have my Cobia setup in B 

Aye, she’s in Drop B and it’s 34”, sounds huge 😉

Worth considering if you don’t use the G much, depends on what you play really.  My Ibby is in B standard so I use that with one of my originals and the function band, whereas the Alpher is being used in my other originals :)  Remember though, it isn’t just the strings that need changing, your nut may need altering too, and the drop in tension you’ll get (B much lower tension than G) will mean your truss will need a little adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/10/2019 at 16:35, DarkHeart said:

Just realized I haven't posted the pic of my latest Cobia on here, oh well here goes. Might as well put them both on for good measure.

IMG_20190727_153226.jpg

IMG_20190727_153250.jpg

IMG_20190727_153317.jpg

Missed this, lovely! That Buckeye is one of my favourite basses from the Alpher boys, I love the figuring 🥰 (blue is great too!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Ohhhh I saw that today and had palpitations, it looks STUNNING

It was driving me crazy imagining it! I was sent a photo from tdog customs and I photoshoped a pre paint photo that was sent to me with the same colour from tdog. It turned out waaaaaaaay prettier than what I did with photoshop. lol

• 3 weeks later...