Why become a member? ×

Acoustic vs electro-acoustic

Paul S

I am looking at buying an acoustic guitar. Or an electro-acoustic guitar. I don't know which.

Use - mainly for use at home but, never say never, might be used with one band for an acoustic set.
Budget - secondhand, up to around £100, but this is subject to whether or not there is a huge leap in quality just beyond that.

What are the pros and cons of acoustic vs electro-acoustic? Obviously, an acoustic is going to be easier to use at home but how easy is it to get to use on stage if need be? I assume it would need miking up? Or fitting with a pick-up? I have no firm idea! :)

And are there any particular recommendations - I searched a bit and see Yamaha in general are good value, the F310 particularly so.

Any info would be great, please!

ta :)

Freshman get good reviews. Inexpensive but good quality. By the way £100 will only buy you a dog of an acoustic that will rip your hands to shreds. You'd have to spend another £100 to get it set up and make playable.

here's a link http://www.freshmanguitars.net/reviews/

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1392398168' post='2368268']
By the way £100 will only buy you a dog of an acoustic that will rip your hands to shreds. You'd have to spend another £100 to get it set up and make playable.
[/quote]

... and an even worse electro. Up your budget and go pure acoustic. You can always add a Fishman Neo-D soundhole pickup (much nicer than piezo imo) later, and save that for your next (better) acoustic in due course.

Yamaha are a good bet, especially the old FG's. Crafter and Tanglewood have a solid reputation. Farida have a great reputation and can sometimes be found cheap.

I would get a good sounding guitar and forget the electronics that can be added later. Alternatively you can upgrade it when you can afford it.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1392397054' post='2368244']
I am looking at buying an acoustic guitar. Or an electro-acoustic guitar. I don't know which.[/quote]

99% of the time an electro-acoustic is an acoustic guitar with a pick-up already installed, usually (but not always) an under-saddle piezo strip. Most EA's have a little control set perched somewhere on the upper bout. Played unplugged there is arguably little difference in sound, particularly in the low budget sector.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1392397054' post='2368244']Obviously, an acoustic is going to be easier to use at home but how easy is it to get to use on stage if need be? I assume it would need miking up? Or fitting with a pick-up? I have no firm idea! :)[/quote]

For home use, either type will do the job. For stage use (unless it's a particularly tiny venue) the instrument will require amplification, necessitating a connection to the PA or an acoustic guitar amp.

Retro-fit pick ups for acoustics are available at most price points, ranging from under-saddle > strap pin jack off the bay for a tenner through soundhole clip-ons right up to combination internal mike / piezo strip arrangements. In such circumstances it may be wise to acquire an external eq / pre-amp pedal to sit between the guitar and the PA.

A pure acoustic can be externally miced up as is the case in most studio recordings. Some prefer the amplified sound of a miced acoustic to the sound of an electro. The limitations of an acoustic in a live environment may include the necessity to remain in reasonable proximity to the mic; the reliance on the PA engineer to adjust for EQ and feedback; possible phase issues between your vocal mike and the instrument mic.

With a budget of £100 your options for quality will be quite limited unless you trip over an old Japanese Yamaha. I'd buy the best pure acoustic I could get and bolt the peripherals when later required.

Good luck :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Thank you all for the input. Acoustic it will be. I think I will enjoy the thrill of the chase - always nice to have something new to look for. :)

And thanks for the explanation, Mr. Skankdelver, sir. Pitched perfectly to a complete novice :) Actually, not a complete novice - I had a bottom of the range Fender acoustic when I was at school in the early-mid 70s. Wish I still had it.

At your budget your money will buy you one of two guitars:

1) A guitar with no pickup but with decent tone woods (ie a solid top)

Or

2) A guitar with a pickup and lesser quality tone woods

If you can, pick up something with a solid top (Yamaha FG700 would go for about £100 secondhand) and if you want to add a pickup later you can.

If you want an all solid guitar, you'll be looking at about £100 more than your budget on the market secondhand. Good luck with your hunt!

Quick update. I bought a Simon and Patrick Cedar 6 in the end, serial number indicates made in 2001. £180 inc a hard case, so a little more than I first thought but I think worth it. Picked it up today - a few scuffs and dings, absolutely filthy and in need of some new strings. But it sings!

Thank you! It cleaned it up nicely: I put on a new set of Martin phosphor bronze lights, which were recommended by one of my guitarists, and it really sounds great. I am glad I decided to spend a little more, now I have it. :)

I think you did well there.

A few years back I picked up a 'melody' bowlback from ebay for £25. Construction is about as cheap as you can imagine (and probably cheaper) but it's actually giggable after significant setting up, replacement nut & new strings - to a friends horror it sounds terribly similar to his 70s Ovation. ;)