Why become a member? ×

Demeter Minnie VTBP-M-800-D

franzbassist

• 2 months later...

These look and sound like amazing heads! Dare I say amongst the top 5 best heads out there?! (But not cheap at £1275 with DI output - I guess top quality comes with a top $ price tag right?!). I'm not sure Demeter are providing any form of protective casing though, which is kinda key if it's gonna be used for gigging. What would you recommend on that front?

Wonder if you (or any of the lucky guys who've got hold of this new Demeter) considered the Markbass TTE 800 as an alternative? It's about £900 so about 30% cheaper than the Demeter, but is it in the same league?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1402160173' post='2470593']
I'm not sure Demeter are providing any form of protective casing though, which is kinda key if it's gonna be used for gigging. What would you recommend on that front?
[/quote]

I had the guys at Roqsolid make me a dustcover for it, which is fine for my needs, but I believe there's a Gator hard case that fits it too.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1402263459' post='2471562']
Wonder if you (or any of the lucky guys who've got hold of this new Demeter) considered the Markbass TTE 800 as an alternative? It's about £900 so about 30% cheaper than the Demeter, but is it in the same league?
[/quote]

I actually owned the TTE500 and it was a great head, but to be totally honest the Demeter blows it out of the water, for me at least.

Thanks - that's very helpful, particularly as you were a previous owner of a TTE! Be great to hear a little more in which areas, in particular, you feel the Demeter blows the TTE out the water?

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1402264288' post='2471572']
Thanks - that's very helpful, particularly as you were a previous owner of a TTE! Be great to hear a little more in which areas, in particular, you feel the Demeter to blows the TTE out the water?
[/quote]

Well, the Demeter wins on the EQ stakes as the TTE is just straight bass, mid, treble and a VLE filter, whereas with the Demeter you can add dark/normal/bright mode, a selectable 60 or 120Hz bass, and a selectable presence frequency. The TTE does have a gain control if you like to dirty your sound up though, and a very nice tube compressor too. The DI is also standard with the TTE.

But... the tone coming out of the Demeter is just amazing - it's never boomy, and the articulation is so clear notes just jump out at you, and they have a weight and heft behind each one that really drives your sound. I've never had so many compliments from people before about my tone.

Edited by walbassist

The 800 watt D class power section is the same Demeter builds for Jule Amps to power the awesome Monique Tube Pre.......or used to build. It is no longer advertised on the Jule Amps page...... Hmmm.

Bound to be a great head, as good as the Monique? Time will tell.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1402264858' post='2471580']
The 800 watt D class power section is the same Demeter builds for Jule Amps to power the awesome Monique Tube Pre.......or used to build. It is no longer advertised on the Jule Amps page...... Hmmm.
[/quote]

Still available direct from [url="http://www.demeteramps.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=92"]Demeter[/url] though.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1402265510' post='2471593']

Still available direct from [url="http://www.demeteramps.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=92"]Demeter[/url] though.
[/quote]

Yeah, just saw it.... whatever the situation I am sure the Demeter will be pretty awesome and it looks right too.

I toyed with getting the Demeter Minnie VTBP-M-800-D, I suspect I'd have been a happy bunny if I had - there must be some 'law' about irrationally wating wanting the item that you didn't buy as well.

I've just heard some FOH recording from a recent gig (Monique coupled with minnie 800) - a superb bass noise. I suspect that there's a whole world of great noises in the Jule pre-amp I'll never exhaust.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1405596490' post='2503374']
Hi walbassist - you ever been a Mesa Boogie fan? if so, how does the Demeter stack up against the M6 Carbine? They seem to be in a similar price (but obviously not the same weight!) bracket?
[/quote]

No idea I'm afraid, but Molan may have an idea as he also has the Demeter amp and may have tried a Mesa?

• 7 months later...

I just joined the Demeter club.

It's a stunning amp, super quiet (the very very tiniest hint of transformer hum when my ear is on the casing!) and it sounds brilliant.

I wanted a powerful amp without a fan for orchestra use and this really fits the bill. It is also very light weight.

I'm actually so impressed I'm wondering about selling my Genz heads now and getting the Demeter poweramp to go with my selection of preamps.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1425379978' post='2706631']
I just joined the Demeter club.

It's a stunning amp, super quiet (the very very tiniest hint of transformer hum when my ear is on the casing!) and it sounds brilliant.

I wanted a powerful amp without a fan for orchestra use and this really fits the bill. It is also very light weight.

I'm actually so impressed I'm wondering about selling my Genz heads now and getting the Demeter poweramp to go with my selection of preamps.
[/quote]

I'm looking at exactly the same option!

I've been trying the power amp with different preamps over the last week. Nothing big money, all pedals rather than rackmounts. So far I've used:

Sadowsky
Tone Hammer
Lehle Classic Boost
Lehle Clean Boost
EBS Micro
Sansamp

No clear winner yet though. The EBS is really very clever for such a small package. Great 'get out of jail' options for gigging and home use. Not sure if the core time is really 'me' though.

One of those and a Minnie power amp would easily fit in the front pocket of a bass gig bag.

Very handy that the power amp has a switchable fan as well. It needs one because it doesn't have the big heat sink of the integrated head.

I think it'll be happy to run for hours without the fan at home or in a studio but just flip the switch and you get a bit of a safety blanket for live work at greater volumes :)

I really like the Tech21 VT Bass-DI into a poweramp. I think I actually prefer it to my actual Ampeg pre! I reckon that would be a great match for the Demeter power amp.

I have emailed Demeter and they inform me that for an extra $50 the poweramp can be built into a standard 19 inch rack unit.

I'm rapidly running out of excuses! I might have to dig through my Trunk of Things to see what I can off load to raise some money.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1425464776' post='2707521']
I really like the Tech21 VT Bass-DI into a poweramp. I think I actually prefer it to my actual Ampeg pre! I reckon that would be a great match for the Demeter power amp.

I have emailed Demeter and they inform me that for an extra $50 the poweramp can be built into a standard 19 inch rack unit.

I'm rapidly running out of excuses! I might have to dig through my Trunk of Things to see what I can off load to raise some money.
[/quote]

I heard someone using this setup yesterday afternoon!

Only low volume but sounded very nice. Especially on a bass with flats.

• 1 year later...

Rather than start a new thread I thought that I'd add to this. :)

Demeter > TC RS210 cabs working well and made to measure (sorry for the shoyte image)!

I have been messing about with EQ settings and tbh as an after thought threw the Leland Sklar shape in... yep that works. I tweaked a bit more treble/presence than his setting as I was liking the 'dark' setting but this may be my default and subsequent tweaks made from there.

I have to say it is still a wrench coming away from the Thunderfunk. :(

[URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/Demeter_zps0tzbmgbs.jpg.html][IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/Demeter_zps0tzbmgbs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by warwickhunt