Why become a member? ×

Demeter Minnie VTBP-M-800-D

franzbassist

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1393511663' post='2381239']
Did you change from the CN212 to the HD210? How are you finding the differences?
Nice setup. I've always wanted a TF.
PS - Just out of interest, if Barrie etc is around, are there any DI versions of this head left?
[/quote]

I think that stock level is a mistake, as I am pretty sure the DI versions are not built yet. Bass Gear have one non-DI version, which will be at the LBGS this weekend.

I prefer the HD210. It's a more traditional sound, not so dry/upper mid heavy as a neo driver, and is a good match with the Demeter as that has terrific presence to the note but without being boomy, much like the HD cab. It's also a good power/power handling match in 400 watts at 8 ohms for both.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1393533144' post='2381668']
So, what's your initial thoughts on the Demeter?
[/quote]

Haven't had a chance to give it a good run yet, but aim to do so this weekend. My first impression is that it's like the Demeter pre I had a few years back: terrific weight and presence to each note, but always clean and articulate.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1393597714' post='2382406']

Haven't had a chance to give it a good run yet, but aim to do so this weekend. My first impression is that it's like the Demeter pre I had a few years back: terrific weight and presence to each note, but always clean and articulate.
[/quote]

Looking forward to one of your now famous videos Gareth!

• 3 weeks later...

Great helpful review. Nice tone (although for me its more the bass I like!). I like how bright it is...

Am I right in thinking this has a mid scoop like the Bass Terror (just using an example) and that the mids won't 'boost'....so to speak, as mids flat is mids dialed up to full on the dial?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1395397142' post='2401937']
Great helpful review. Nice tone (although for me its more the bass I like!). I like how bright it is...

Am I right in thinking this has a mid scoop like the Bass Terror (just using an example) and that the mids won't 'boost'....so to speak, as mids flat is mids dialed up to full on the dial?
[/quote]

yep, my take as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1395397142' post='2401937']
[/quote]

I think this quote from Bass Player's review of the powered 19" rackmount VTBP is useful:

[i]Unlike the three other tube preamps in my studio, the 201S-800D didn't automatically give me the fat tone I associate with tubes. In fact, setting the 201S-800D’s 3-band EQ and presence knobs at noon gave me a sound that was decidedly bright, highlighting edge and clarity in every instrument I put through it, including a ’61 P-Bass with flats. I liked it well enough for rock, but didn’t think it was warm enough for blues, R&B, or gospel. I was wrong.[/i]

[i]My first mistake had been to assume what “flat” meant. I started over once I understood that the settings weren’t flat unless I set bass and treble at noon, dimed the mids, turned the presence freq knob to 0, and put the bass freq at 120Hz. It quickly became obvious just how much control I had over my tone. Adjusting treble and presence while choosing a frequency gave me precise control of the top end; I dialed in lows (tight, never flabby) with the help of bass and the 60Hz/120Hz bass freq button. [b]The unit’s mid-cut-only approach was more flexible than I expected[/b], especially combined with the presence controls. The 201S-800D emphasizes clean, faithful reproduction: If you love the sound of your instruments, you’ll love this preamp. Even set flat, other tube preamps automatically added a layer of warmth and girth to every bass I plugged in, but the Demeter was sterile—merciless, even—until I dialed in what I wanted.[/i]

A while ago, I read somewhere that the best way to build your tone on a Demeter pre is to start with all the tone controls fully ccw and increase them bit by bit until you get the sound you like. I've always followed this advice and it seems to work well: there are definitely more compelling tones in the amp than just having everything at noon.

Edited by walbassist

Ah I see. Well that would be fine with me. Many criticise the BT500/AD200 from Orange, and indeed the Genz Streamliner (mids are flat at about 2 on the dial so room to boost) due to their 'mids aren't flat at 12) EQ...when lets face it, dial position doesn't really matter.

If it sounds great, and works with the band, then everyone is happy!

When he "dimed the mids", WTF was he talking about?

I've never dimed anything in my life, and I'm not sure I want to start at my advanced age ...

ps: That's a very good demo, Gareth. Roughly the equivalent of walking into a decent bass shop and being able to play with the amp for five minutes without some clown starting to slap on a Markbass rig ten feet away. :lol:

One question though ... how did you record it? I'm guessing that's a Zoom Q3 or similar so you're working within the confines of the on-board (very good) microphone. Some lovely tones there.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1395401860' post='2402027']
One question though ... how did you record it? I'm guessing that's a Zoom Q3 or similar so you're working within the confines of the on-board (very good) microphone. Some lovely tones there.
[/quote]

Yep, Zoom Q3HD. Some "wobble" to the sound from somewhere, but overall it's a great little unit.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1395407629' post='2402110']

Yep, Zoom Q3HD. Some "wobble" to the sound from somewhere, but overall it's a great little unit.
[/quote]

+1 great video and I can feel GAS creeping in, though tbh my Streamliner/Compact isn't a million miles from that sound (or so I'll keep telling myself).

What bass and cab were you using?