Why become a member? ×

Compression..

leemarseillebass

Eyup,

I've just become the proud owner of a full Hy-drive rig and need a wee compressor, I think I may know the answer but as far as pedals go the 'general' ones seem cheaper than the specific bass ones, would I get away with this approach or should I stick to the bass orientated ones?

Thank you for any help here, Lee.

If looking for an always on, just to iron out peaks compressor, the Behringer DC9 is a good way to start - as you may find you don`t like compression after all, so it hasn`t cost a lot, and you can usually sell them pretty quick on here because of that.

If you do like compression, and again are looking for always on pedals, then the EBS Multi Comp is good - it doesn`t really add much colouring at all to the sound, and is more noticed when switched off than on, if that makes any sense.

Our producer advised of the MXR Dynacomp. It adds a creaminess to the mids as well as compressing, so does push a bit more in the mix. But that`s easily sorted with eq if you don`t want those added mids.

hmm I'm no expert and play both bass and guitar. When gigging I use a different compression pedal for each. If I try swapping them I am not as happy with the sound of either. My conclusion is buy a nice bass compression pedal.

I have an EBS Multi-comp which I'm happy to recommend as its positive impact is backed up by comments from the band.

Note: My guitar pedal is a Babyboom, which is cheap oriental job but does what I want on my Telecaster.

there was a good site with tests and comparisons of most compressor pedals somewhere which was great, if only I could remember where it was.
my result of this was to buy a xotic sp compressor. it is very small, simple to use and is a parallel compressor that sounds very good both with guitar and bass to my ears.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1392232890' post='2366309']
there was a good site with tests and comparisons of most compressor pedals somewhere which was great, if only I could remember where it was.
my result of this was to buy a xotic sp compressor. it is very small, simple to use and is a parallel compressor that sounds very good both with guitar and bass to my ears.
[/quote]

Ovnilab:

http://www.ovnilab.com/