Why become a member? ×

Alpherinstruments: tell me more

marcus bell

I've played a couple - really really nice basses. I dunno what else to say really, the two I've played have been similar to a super jazz in sound and feel. They use really nice woods, I saw a stupidly light ash body there and an awesome wenge neck, Chris really does love his fancy wood tops!
They're nice pups and active circuits made in the UK, and the woodwork is really good, good attention to detail etc. No screws used I think all Hex Bolts.

When I visited Chris had his Sadowsky and Valenti kicking around and I had a play on all of them, you couldn't really say any were "worse" than the others - just built to different goals.

Part of me though doesn't know what to say about them, they are good high end basses and great people - what I think makes me like them is my own bass sat in the other room.
I moved down to leeds about a year ago and had a warwick that was really almost unplayable cos of fret wear - well new city you don't know the cow boy techs from the really good ones and asked on Basschat for recommendations, I don't even think Alpher got mentioned but I found another thread where I found these guys in Saltaire who were making basses... going on the basis that if you could build a bass you would be able to set the frets up better I got talking to them....

My warwick is one of the greatest playing basses I've played, the action could go stupidly low (if I wanted it) and it's just such a top quality job. Highly recommended.

Oh and they have their own brand strings I like too. Need to buy a few more packets of them.

Yes, I have a custom build of my own and have played/seen pretty much every build that's been through the workshop.

Here's my custom build;

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91300146@N05/9816340023/"][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91300146@N05/9816279696/"][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91300146@N05/9816334043/"][/url]

I have named this beautiful beast, Grace Jones (tall, dark and kicks ass). Built to my exacting specification and desires (along with some excellent suggestions from the Alpher team) this bass is my Excalibur :)

The build quality is spectacular. Chris and Al spent many days testing techniques, finishes etc on off cuts of my bass to ensure they achieved the desired finish. The care and attention to every aspect and detail of the build process was immaculate and extremely professional.

The sound (which is unique to my specification) is out of this world. Even in passive mode, the ebony wood allows this bass to sing with the tightest sound I've ever heard. Natural highs/high mids with a bottom end so tight, it makes your eyes water. Then, you engage 'active' mode and you unleash a beast. The control it allows you over the tone allows this bass to suit any situation.

I've owned basses from Sadowsky, Valenti, Modulus, Warwick, Music Man and this bass is hands down, the best bass I've ever had. Considering these buys have been building only for a couple of years, they are just going to go from strength to strength.

The quality of the jaw dropping wood that comes through their workshop is something to behold. These guys are extremely passionate about what they do and you'd not regret dealing with them. I'd be more than happy for anyone to come and take a look at my bass if you ever visit their workshop!

I'm already planning Alpher II

Edited by funkyspuke

I also own one, and I have nothing bad to say about them. What drew me in initially was there awesome eye for woods. Rather than go for the nicest bit of quilted or flamed maple, they have access to so many lovely top woods that wouldn't be seen on anything outside of a custom build. In my case, it was a rather vividly figured piece if maple, but if you click the link in my sig', you'll find that the body wood that I picked (on their recommendation) ended up being as attractive.

As far as playability and sound go, it's still the nicest instrument I've played. I'd never heard of Catswhisker pickups before talking to the guys, but my specifications were sort of along the lines of 'monstrous' :) and they deliver, without a doubt. I actually quoted the Musicman Bongo when I talked about them originally and I was over the moon with the result. Playability is brilliant too, with a neck that was very much like my old Ibanez Prestige. Smooth, oiled Wenge + comfortable profile = joy. :)

The specifications of my bass came about because what I wanted wasn't really available off the shelf (a really tight string spacing at the bridge), rather than wanting a lovely 'version' of a Fender or something like that. Because of that, mine will always be better (for me) than any other basses available out there, so I'll always be a bit biased, but as you can see from the post above mine, if you want traditional plus some, that's what you'll get.

I should also mention that I went with the guys at Alpher on the basis that I should get my bass built by someone who I really got on with and felt comfortable with handling and creating something for me. After emailing a number of UK builders, these guys came out on top by a mile. I also got told a deadline before they'd even picked up the wood and they stuck to it. Overall, not just an awesome bass, but an awesome experience.

Nothing but good reviews for the Alpher guys and the same from me. I got the second customer built instrument from the guys and I love it.

I was searching around for a new bass towards the end of 2012 and weighing up the pros and cons between getting a stock built instrument and a custom build. I was upgrading from an Ibanez SR505, so my criteria was for the new instrument to be lightweight, easy to play, 5 string. My biggest concern was the neck, I really enjoyed the feeling of the Ibanez neck, the shape and unfinished wood feel. My search took me to a lot of brands and makers.

This was until I stumbled across the guys at Alpher, I saw them posting pictures of some gorgeous basses and wood blanks. I arranged to meet up with the guys and we had a great day talking about basses and I got to try a couple prototypes. I was sold.

I asked these guys to build mine when I got the deposit together. I was regularly updated with pictures and news, they often asked me about anything they or I thought would be a good addition. It took about 4 months for the build to be finished.

Ever since I picked her up I loved what they have done. The shape, looks and feel of the instrument is fantastic and just what I wanted. All the fears of knowing what a custom instrument is going to turn out like is there but the guys have certainly exceeded all expectations. It's worth chatting to the guys to get a feel for what they are like and how they conduct business.

(Pictures would be posted but I am on the mobile site, there is a build thread out there)

My bass has just been completed by the guys at Alpher, I'm going to pick it up this weekend. When I went to visit them last year, I played a couple of their early basses, and they were lovely. They clearly know their stuff. If you'd told me that they've been building basses for 20 years, i'd have believed you (although their ages would give it away!). Throughout the build process, Chris has been keeping me fully up-to-date on what is happening, always sending through updates and photos, and always happy to chat about any aspect of the build. Their enthusiasm is refreshing, and gave me the confidence that they would make sure that my bass would be nothing short of perfect. Having seen the first few pictures of the finished instrument, and spoken to Chris about how it sounds, they have delivered the goods.

As soon as I get chance, I'll record a video for YouTube, to try and show it off a bit. I live just up the road from you (Coventry), so if you want to give it a taz, let me know. I'm from Rugby, so head over that way a bit to see my folks.