Why become a member? ×

73/74 P Bass
£1500

Hoppo75

[attachment=154630:DSC_0658.JPG]Hi all.

After much deliberation, around 4 years of it, I've finally decided that the time has come to move this lovely old work horse on.

I've owned the bass since around 1989 (may have been a little earlier). It was bought for me by my Dad at a music shop auction (Rock City for those in the north east). When we got it home we found it wasn't working, hence a visit to the masterful Bass Doc who swiftly identified the pick ups as being 'knackered'. A set of 76's were fitted as the replacements, and following a Bass Doc setup, I soon understood what all the fuss was about with these old P's. I gigged in my parents band for around 12 years, and then with a variety of cover bands right up until 3 or so years ago...when I found a new love for the Jazz Bass. As a result of a shiny new frankenjazz arriving, this lovely old girl has sat in her case for 3 years or so, having only been gigged a handful of times. While it's had a lot of gigging over the years, I've cherished it like a puppy, and have never abused it! On the back of some great recent chats with beedster (thanks Chris), trying to temp him into a trade deal for his RBIV, he pointed out that the bridge isn't an original, hence panic ensued! I've had it to the good Doctor for a once over/appraisal and he observed the following;

- the bridge is indeed 'non original', having 2 additional screw holes (7 vs the Fender 5). This has not been touched by me in almost 25 years, and having read up a bit on this and avidly listening to Howard, it does appear that the bridge quality was never what it should have been and they were prone to rusting. Direct replacements weren't easy to come by hence oriental replacements were often sourced by those who liked a shiny new part.

- The pickups, as talked above, are 76's. Don't let this put you off, this thing thumps like a 70's P bass should, especially set up with flats!

- The pots are dated 73 & 74. Again, someone may have changed these back in the day, but are very possibly the originals being totally inline with the bass age.

- The thumbrest isn't an original, but is something I've never used.

These things have never been of any concern to me as the Bass has been a superb playing companion, with many wonderful compliments (and offers!) over the years from top players who loved the sound and playability. Howard gave her a thumbs up, calling it a 'lovely, honest old bass', which was more than enough praise from the man who knows. There is also plenty of adjustment on the truss rod according to the Bass Doc and I'm sure Howard won't mind chipping in with additional info. I haven't weighed it yet, it's definately light, but will do if anyone is interested. Sound wise, I need say nothing - the gorgeous thumpy sound of wood! She's somewhat 'Roadworn', but unlike the current crop of 'roadworn' wannabes....this is proper wear :)

I'd prefer a cash sale, but I am debating using the proceeds of this to purchase 5 string Jazz of some description, so may be tempted by a trade + cash my way deal (depending on the JB on offer of course). Apologies on the Pic quality, but I can sort more on request. I'm up in Northumberland, and anyone interested is more than welcome to come for a blast and a cuppa.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Hoppo75

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1406105547' post='2508291']
oo so tempted by this if it ain't sold to blyn :gas:
[/quote]

Wouldn't blame you on that one Andy. Only wish I could get on with P basses ( I seem incapable of getting a decent sound out of one to my damaged ears) - I'd probably be fighting you for it ;)

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1406118243' post='2508467']
Wouldn't blame you on that one Andy. Only wish I could get on with P basses ( I seem incapable of getting a decent sound out of one to my damaged ears) - I'd probably be fighting you for it ;)
[/quote]

:) cheers matey, (not-so-secretly hoping that blyn has been unsuccessful) ;)