Why become a member? ×

Thumb position tone

thisnameistaken

I used to think it was my bass, but now I've got two basses I'm pretty sure it's me. ;)

I try to practise a little in thumb position whenever I practise the bass, just so I don't get totally terrified of going up there or whatever, but I've noticed playing pizz I get very little sustain much beyond the G, and it seems people I see on Youtube or whatever get more than I do.

Is it me? My bass is strung with Animas which seem to rumble on quite lengthily on the lower notes. My left-hand technique is pretty crap in thumb position, I feel like I'm clinging on for dear life sometimes, I don't really get how players can look so relaxed doing it, it seems to involve quite a lot of strength when I do it?

Thumb position pizzicato can be a fairly complicated subject. But briefly some thoughts.

Firstly poor left hand technique in all resisters will result in reduced sound. Varying, or reduced pressure, means the energy your putting in with your right hand the create the note is not all going to note production,but being dissipated where your not holding the string down enough.

In all registers using the weight of your arm is really important especially in thumb position. Rather than try to use solely your finger( and or thumb) to push the note, let the weight of your arm push down through your hand to hold the note. Also I find I need to move my right hand closer to the bridge to produce a stronger sound in thumb position.

I will write a blog post in the next few days on this, as there are a lot of other things to write about, and I will post it here.

Good Luck :)

I'd echo what Ben says about using arm weight, not only that though, arm position (I'm fairly sure Ben will agree) is also really important
Kev the reason people look so relaxed in thumb position is because their posture and arm position supports easily executed finger movements. If you can get the right energy into the fingers they will stop the strings really well, if not, and energy is being lost in other places, the notes will sound weak and puny. It all starts in posture and positioning in my view and that's quite difficult to get across in text, so as usual getting some up close and personal advice is advised.

It's quite hard to understand information over the interwebs... as jake has pointed out. It might be worth taking these ideas away to a recommended bass tutor on how to play in Thumb position with posture and full the shabam!!!
From what I know and shizzle... Don't collapse your fingers when playing. when you see your tutor ask about finger shaping in the dusty end... And practice 3 octave scales. = )

• 11 months later...