Why become a member? ×

Something to count me in before a song starts (apart from a drummer)?

bass2345

Hi. I would've put this in the performance section but couldn't find a great subheading in that bit. I was wondering if there are any pieces of software or other things that I could use (apart from a drummer or another musician) to count me in when playing along with music that begins with the bass coming in immediately or not long after the song's start?

Without intending to sound pompous, you. You`re the timekeeper as much as the drummer. Each time you play a song you start should be virtually the same speed. Rehearse this by playing the whole of the song and recording it about 5 times. You should be within a second or two with all of them. Once you`ve heard this happen, you`ll realise you don`t need anything else.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1391800749' post='2361537']
I think the point was that he's trying to play along to other peoples' music without missing the first few notes when the bass kicks off the song.
[/quote]

That's true, and I was also thinking about songs in which all the instruments start together including the bass, or songs in which the bass starts so soon after other instruments that there's no time to count yourself in.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1391857940' post='2362011']
Count yourself, you just can't beat it.
[/quote]
You can't count yourself in when you don't know where a track starts. That's why in the studio tap ins are created when tracks are being independently or someone counts in playing live - so you've got a cue. This is the OP's problem, he needs a to create a click to cue him for the song.

Bass2345, download Audacity (freeware) and follow the instructions [url="http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57663"]here[/url]. There are also plenty of free BPM calculators/counters/analysers available both online and as downloads.

If it's live, then either the drummer or bassist counts in (usually the drummer). Songs where I start have begun with me doing a count in.
Recording or playing along, use a metronome in the software (any DAW such as Garageband or Reaper).