Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton 'Kahuna' Basses (Kala U-Bass ripoff)

dannybuoy

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1438867954' post='2838229']
From a quick google search it does seem like it. It sounds very well and certainly isn't a toy. Typical Yamaha quality, cheap and very decent. It stays in tune and is loud enough to keep up with vocals (everything unplugged). I believe they payed around 80€ for each so it's a nice bargain.
[/quote]

Thanks. I actually saw one on ... Wednesday I think ... in a Yamaha store in Soho. If I remember correctly, they were selling them for £58, which seems a very fair price. The strings on the demo version were a bit rusty.

@Tweedledum - be interesting to hear what the J&D sounds like, how big it is, etc.

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1438944116' post='2838818']
You guys seen [url=http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/B-sse/4-Saiter/Jack-Danny-Ukulele-Bass-UK-BM1R-/art-BAS0007299-000]THIS[/url] yet?
[/quote]

I am LIKING that!

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1438953365' post='2838956']
@Tweedledum - be interesting to hear what the J&D sounds like, how big it is, etc.
[/quote]
It's smaller than the H.B. Kahuna, which is more like a 1/2 scale guitar, as I understand. The J&D is similar to a Kala UBass. Soundwise, i don't know. I never played a Kala. The J&D has a B-Band pickup, if that counts for something. As I wrote, I'll pick it up tomorrow and will share my impressions.

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1438977825' post='2839208']
It's smaller than the H.B. Kahuna, which is more like a 1/2 scale guitar, as I understand. The J&D is similar to a Kala UBass. Soundwise, i don't know. I never played a Kala. The J&D has a B-Band pickup, if that counts for something. As I wrote, I'll pick it up tomorrow and will share my impressions.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll look forward to your review.

That thing is tiny and sounds huge. This is the shortest way to describe it.

In more detail:
The fret ends are not finished. That's annoying. It's only 129,- Euros, but I'd rather pay 159,- and get smooth fingerboard edges! :angry: Alright, so I have to smooth out the fret ends myself. Fortunately I have everything I need on hand.
There's no user manual, so it took a while to find out where the batteries for the preamp go. Batteries are inluded, that's a plus.
Tuning takes a while, too, since the it needs much more turns of the tuning gear to tune to the right note. The onboard tuner seems to work fine.

Unplugged, the J&D sound reasonably bassy but quite silent, which is to be expected. The Thunderguts feel very rubbery and a little sticky. Maybe this can be fixed with a little bit Super F plastic surface cleaner. The electric sound is really good. Very acoustic, fat lows, the attack is somehow "bouncing" - I don't know how to describe it. The sound is closer to upright bass, not so much aoustic bass guitar. Totally unique and very cool. I'll keep that little bugger.

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1439042849' post='2839604']
That thing is tiny and sounds huge. This is the shortest way to describe it.

In more detail:
The fret ends are not finished. That's annoying. It's only 129,- Euros, but I'd rather pay 159,- and get smooth fingerboard edges! :angry: Alright, so I have to smooth out the fret ends myself. Fortunately I have everything I need on hand.
There's no user manual, so it took a while to find out where the batteries for the preamp go. Batteries are inluded, that's a plus.
Tuning takes a while, too, since the it needs much more turns of the tuning gear to tune to the right note. The onboard tuner seems to work fine.

Unplugged, the J&D sound reasonably bassy but quite silent, which is to be expected. The Thunderguts feel very rubbery and a little sticky. Maybe this can be fixed with a little bit Super F plastic surface cleaner. The electric sound is really good. Very acoustic, fat lows, the attack is somehow "bouncing" - I don't know how to describe it. The sound is closer to upright bass, not so much aoustic bass guitar. Totally unique and very cool. I'll keep that little bugger.
[/quote]

Useful review, thank you :)
Now I'm off to ponder the state of the credit card...:

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1439276869' post='2841400']
A little sound sample of the Jack & Danny (teehee, what a great brand name) Bass Ukulele:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHYqB29WwjA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=MHYqB29WwjA[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the video. It's a little bit smaller than the balalaika in your other video.

For people who know the kala, how does the plugged in sound of the J&D compare?

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, williecowan said:

Hi, new to bass but have purchased a HB ukulele bass to use in my small uke class. Can anyone help me choose a small miniature amp to use  (about 14 uke players).

I assume 10/20 Watts is enough?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hm how about a Roland Micro Bass Cube RX. Tiny, loud enough, and lasts ages in battery power too. Lots of music shops sell them so you can probably try one.