Why become a member? ×

SOLD : 1978 Fender Precision Bass £975
£1050

backwater

Having not gigged for a few years I can't justify hanging onto this one.

1978 Fender Precision.

Body has had a high quality refinish in natural (factory finish was sunburst and traces of this remain in the pickup cavities)

S87xxxx Serial on headstock

Pickups are dated 10/08/78 and 17/10/78

Pots are dated 1377808 which decodes to Week 8, 1978

Neck stamp is very faded but appears to read 01032485 which is Week 24, day 5, 1978

Reissue Bridge and pickup covers fitted

Weight is 4kg - 8 3/4lbs

Comes with a Gator hard case which has been broken in one corner as pictured.

Collection from Edinburgh preferred but shipping could be arranged.

Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks

Andy B)

Edited by backwater

That's a very nice bass at a very nice price. You don't need to be in a band to play bass. There's quite a few jams around Edinburgh that would be more than happy for you and your bass to get up and do your thing. I recommend the Sunday Service at the Blind Poet, up the Southside of town. If you've played around Edinburgh before, there'll probably be some faces there you haven't seen in a while. This is the jam's facebook page. [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/223618407750167/?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook...750167/?fref=ts[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1391602089' post='2358989']
what a lovely p! one year earlier and I'd have been upsetting the credit card as that'd be a y.o.b.!
[/quote]

If it had been a 77 I would have been keeping it as a YOB bass :rolleyes:

I've just remembered that the bass is fitted with Dunlop straplocks but the original strap buttons are now in the case along with a Fender strap.

Andy B)

I keep coming back to this. What is the nut width please? Also, how low is the action?
Sadly it's about 220 miles each way for me and if I was going to buy something vintage I really would like to try it first.
TBH I'm really surprised it's still here, it does look fabulous.
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1391945104' post='2362802']
I keep coming back to this. What is the nut width please? Also, how low is the action?
Sadly it's about 220 miles each way for me and if I was going to buy something vintage I really would like to try it first.
TBH I'm really surprised it's still here, it does look fabulous.
Cheers,
Karl.
[/quote]

Hi Karl,
The nut width is 42mm, the action is about 2mm on the bass side at the 12th fret so fairly low. It's currently strung with Rotosound RB45s.

Cheers

Andy B)

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1391947373' post='2362827']
Have you had this re-logo'd when it was re-finished ?
Do you still have the orgional hardware and the 78 tuners ?
:unsure:
[/quote]

Only the body has been refinished, the neck finish is original including the logo. Tuners fitted are the 1978 ones. The only non-original hardware, as far as I'm aware, it the bridge and pickup covers which are Fender made reissues as the bass didn't come with the covers.

The logo is squint and I asked about this on the forum when I bought the bass, does seem to be fairly normal for 1970s Fenders : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/19198-squint-fender-logo-on-70s-precision/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/19198-squint-fender-logo-on-70s-precision/[/url]

Andy B)

[quote name='davebass66' timestamp='1392513208' post='2369649']
Any chance of a pic showing the neck pocket? is it a good fit? I only ask as I know it can be really hit and miss on late 70's Fenders!

Thanks
[/quote]

Hopefully, the attached photos will show the neck pocket fit. Feeler gauges give .012" on the treble side and around .020 on the bass side.

Fit is ok, certainly not the worst I've seen on a 70s Fender but a long way from perfect.

Cheers

Andy B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...